Chapter 6

"That punk was screaming like a lil bitch when we was shooting his ass." Rod said still on a high from what took place earlier that day.

"I can't believe he tried to blame that shit on college boy." Trey said taking another pull from his blunt.

"I was shocked Kenny actually shot his ass. A few weeks ago he would have the gun in his hand and be shaking like a bitch." PJ chuckled.

"Yeah, but he shot that fool like he had experience or some shit." Trey said as PJ brought them to a halt.

He turned around in deep thought, "He did, didn't he?"

~~~~~~~~

Toni walked into Josiah' room when she suddenly saw him there with Kenny.

"Oh shit! You scared me." She said holding her chest.

"I'm sorry. He was up and I figured..." He trailed off as she nodded.

"You have kids?"

"No. I always wanted them though."

"Well whenever that time comes, you'll be a great dad." She said watching him help Josiah put his legos together.

"Thank you." He said. He looked at her, "How are you holding up?"

She sighed, "Is it crazy that I feel...nothing? I'm numb."

He shook his head no, "That's not crazy."

"So, have they found out who killed D?"

"They had someone. They're not sure yet."

"Meredith thinks we should let the police handle it but PJ's always talking about street justice...whatever that means." Toni said.

"I think it's all redundant, at the end of the day it won't bring him back." He said before catching his words. He looked up at her distant expression, "I'm sorry."

"No, it's fine. I've just got a lot on my mind."

"You wanna talk about it?"

"No, it's okay. I'll leave you two to your legos." She said walking out of the room. He sighed feeling like an ass.

He went back to playing with the toddler until he heard a strange sound and Toni's voice.

"Shit!"

"I'll be right back." Kenny told the boy before he got up. He walked into the kitchen,"Is everything okay?"

"It's just this stupid faucet again." She said looking at her wet shirt.

"I can take a look at it."

"No, I can't ask you to do that."

"You didn't." He said picking up the flashlight handing it to her. Opening the cabinet he got down getting a better look at the sink, "Just hold it right here."

She let out a breath holding the flashlight. Suddenly they heard footsteps, Josiah cane barreling into the kitchen. He climbed into the cabinet and watched Kenny.

"Josiah!" Toni scold unable to hold in her chuckle.

"He's good. He's gotta learned to this for you when he gets older." He said fist bumping the little one. After doing a little tinkering, "I think it's good." He said raising up.

"Are you sure-"

She was cut off as he banged his head against the pipe.

"Aah!"He yelled holding his head and sliding into the floor.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"I'm good."

"No you're not. I'll get the first aid kit."

"It's fine really."

"You're bleeding." She said walking away. He slowly stood to his feet and went to sit on a bar stool as she came back, "Let me see." She said moving his hand.

Josiah climbed out of the cabinet and stood by watching his mother treat Kenny's small cut. Kenny lifted him onto the counter before Toni applied the alcohol to the cut.
He winced making Josiah feel bad. The little one pushed his bear into Kenny's hand to make him feel better.

"Thanks." Kenny chuckled.

"He's taken a liking to you faster than most." Toni said.

"I'm sort of a kid magnet. Besides, he's pretty cool." He replied rubbing Josiah head.

"Okay, I think it's okay." She said putting the bandaid on. He started to get up before she stopped him, "Wait, how many fingers am I holding up?"

He squinted really hard, "I don't...I don't know."

"Oh my God." She said fearing his injuries were worse than she thought.

He chuckled, "I'm kidding."

She slapped his arm, "Kenny! I'm trying to make sure you don't have a concussion." She laughed.

"I told you, I'm good."

"Okay."

"Hey, if you wanna get out, I know a place." He said.

She sighed, "Kenny-"

"This is strictly platonic. One friend helping another get some fresh air."

She thought for a second, "Okay. Yeah."

He smiled, "Good. Dress nice."