Chapter 8

The guys and Kenny were joking around as they drank a few beers. He wasn't sure why PJ wanted to meet. He even pulled him away from his post at Toni's place.

PJ walked in as their laughter died down. "So I just got word that old dude we shot last week didn't kill D. Somebody did and we need to find them before the cops do." He said.

Kenny sat his beer down as Trey spoke up.

"He was there...maybe it was someone he knows."

"Find out who his crew is. I want them all here."

They all dispersed and Kenny started walking to his car.

Suddenly he heard his name, "Kenny!"

He turned around to face PJ, "Yeah?"

"You really stepped up last week. You went from being scared to hold a gun to shooting like an OG."

"Well you said to use it when I needed it."

"How many times have you needed it?" He asked eyeing Kenny suspiciously.

"Enough." Kenny said vaguely.

He stepped closer to him, "You know, I couldn't quite figure out why would that dude pick you of all people to blame for killing D."

Kenny shrugged, "I don't know, but people will say anything to get out of a situation."

"Mhmm."

"I gotta go." He said turning around.

PJ grabbed his shoulder, "Hey, Toni is grieving and she doesn't need a replacement. So, you taking her out on dates is not cool and it better not happen again."

"You stalking me now?"

"I got eyes everywhere. Even up north. After this is over you stay away from her."

Kenny scoffed, "Bye PJ."

~~~~~~~

Toni looked out of the window with a sigh. Last night's events played through her mind repeatedly. Why did she do that?

Seeing a familiar face sitting on the porch, she slipped on some shoes.

Opening the door, "Hey." She said to Kenny.

He gave her a small smile before returning to his thoughts. He had to shake off this guilt, he did what he had to do...right?

"You're really trying to get lit out here." Toni said sitting down next to him on the steps.

"Trying to stay stress-free." He said.

"So you mix weed and bourbon? You must be going through it." She joked. He half laughed but it didn't last long. She sighed, "I hope I'm not the cause."

"No."

"I'm sorry for flipping out the last  night."

"It's okay, you're grieving. You're emotional and you weren't thinking clearly."

"That's the thing, I was thinking clearly. I wanted to do that and Darnell wasn't even on my mind. I don't know, I just feel so connected to you."