Chapter 39

~Day 30~

It had been 3 days since the RAF base had been bombed. Liam had kept in contact with Horan and Malik trying to learn as much as he could, but they were risking their jobs by telling him too much. I hadn't been able to get ahold of Louis or Harry making me curse myself for not giving them my number in our last letter.

The media had been flooded with the current events, our story widely getting pushed under the radar except for the few skeptics piecing together that the two situations may be related. We had been asked by one news outlet to comment on the situation but Liam and I didn't want to risk compromising any investigation the RAF may have started, even though they had botched their last one.

I had been laying low at home, talking to my father about the situation and how I felt it could have been prevented. He was just as upset as I was, reminding me I could've been there during the bombing if I hadn't been discharged and he was right. It very well could have been me.

It was a school day so James had taken himself and Henry to school and it was now just past lunchtime. I decided I could make my time useful and clean my room. I started picking up the clothes around my room sorting through what could probably be worn again and what definitely needed a washing. I was about halfway through my clothes when I heard a knock on the front door. I threw the clothes on my bed and walked out to the front to see 2 RAF officers standing outside my door. I opened it with furrowed brows having no idea why they'd be here when the RAF was in the middle of a crisis.

"Cameron Woods?" one of them asked looking down at a clipboard he had in his hands.

"Uh-yeah that's me," I replied as he extended his hand out.

"Corporal Ryan, this is my partner Major Wilson," he said as I shook both of their hands. "We have obtained new information regarding your discharge and the RAF is re-opening your appeal," he said making my eyes go wide.

"They're what?!" I spat a not believing what I had heard.

"The RAF has agreed to reinstate your case. In order to do this though, we will need you to meet with the lead investigators to revisit the details of your discharge," he said making me groan. The last thing I wanted to do was go through another round of questioning just for them to deny me again.

"What happens if it gets denied again? You would be taking valuable time away from me again for the second time this year," I asked annoyed they felt they could just lock me in a room for 48 hours of questioning whenever they wanted.

"You will be compensated for your time afterwards whether your case goes through or not," he said making me nod my head. I stood there for a few moments with a frown on my face going back and forth over if it was worth it to try and re-appeal my case. Finally I rolled my eyes before speaking.

"Alright, I guess I can agree to it then."

"Great, your flight for RAF Falkland leaves in 8 hours."

"8 hours?! Are you kidding me?! They've just had a bombing and they want me on base in 8 hours? They've stopped all flights in and out!" I asked absolutely flabbergasted at his request. There was absolutely no way I was going to go now, I thought we were talking maybe a week out here.

"Woods, they're making a very large exception for you as they feel your case being re-visited is more important than anything else at this moment. We were assigned specifically to come here in person today-a task that is usually done virtually to show the urgency of the situation." he explained making me let out a huge huff.

"Is Payne's case being re-opened?"

"I can't disclose that information to you."

"Well then I'm not going. We have the exact same case if he doesn't get a chance to appeal his then I don't want a chance for mine," I said backing up into my doorway ready to slam the door in their faces.