Chapter 25

~Day 11~
"This barmy piece of shit." I cursed, throwing the piece of coral back into the ocean I had retrieved to try and use as a pumice bar. All it had managed to do was scratch the skin on my arms and make it bleed. Thankfully though, the cut on my forearm had already healed.

I was currently in the ocean, using the salt water to remove all the bacteria from my skin as best as I could. The only thing I couldn't use it on was my hair, which was a knotted mess and could've died for a swipe of a hair brush.

We had finally found a fresh water hole a few days ago hidden in the jungle, being thankful Payne wouldn't have to climb a tree every morning to retrieve us something to drink. And also I'd have something better to wash my hair in.

Over the past few days, I had taken it upon myself to try and figure out ways to stay clean. I had used oranges, palm leaves, coconut water, the coconut itself, plus multiple other things. Already smelling bad from the gift I was given from Mother Nature, I made it my mission to find anything that smelt remotely good and place it on or near me at all times.

I also tried to stay in the water as much as I could to temporarily relieve myself of the blood pouring out of me. I'd have to go in the water in my clothes in fear of Payne seeing me nude, but it was well worth it.

The cramps had thankfully subsided yesterday, but my ever-changing mood was still evident.

Hissing at the salt water getting into my fresh scrapes, I pulled myself up out of the water and saw Payne already standing there, watching me.

"What'd you do now Woods?" He asked, walking towards me in the water, making me grumble to myself. Why the hell did he have to monitor everything I did?

His beard had grown very bushy in the past few days. He had attempted to shave it with the pocket knife but decided it had better things to be used for.

Along with his beard becoming bushy, so were my pits and legs. It felt absolutely disgusting and I hated Payne being near me because of it.

"It doesn't matter, I don't need you to tend to my every move." I replied, walking past him through the knee deep water to get away but he grabbed my arm before I could.

"Why do you insist on being this way? I'm just trying to help." He asked, looking down at my reddening scrapes all over my arms.

"I was brought up as a boy Payne. Not a delicate little girl. If I need your help I'll ask." I answered sternly, removing my arm from his grasp with a small tug, and walking back up off the sand and to my designated spot by my tree.

I could hear Payne huff from behind me before mumbling things to himself. I brushed it off though, sitting down by my tree and placing my head up against it.

I sat there for a few moments with my eyes shut, taking deep breaths. The sound of the waves and the steady breeze were very calming until you remembered the situation you were in.

Suddenly, footsteps interrupted my serenity as I opened my eyes to see Payne stomping off into the trees towards the opposite side of the island. I rolled my eyes, laying my head back against the tree, returning to my peace and quiet.

It was nice to be in the shade. We realized we were going to burn our skin off and get sun poisoning if we didn't stay in the shade for most of the day. The only thing that resulted in that, was being pestered by bugs and having no choice but to sit in dirt.

My pants had already turned a brown color along with my now dirty white tank top. Payne had given up on wearing his shirt a few days ago, realizing it was doing nothing for him but getting in the way.