Chapter 26

~Day 14~
The storm destroyed our shelter, all three of the fires, and my hope for rescue. Two weeks had gone by being on the stranded island and all I wanted was to be back home doing chores for my family without proper acknowledgement.

I wanted to go back to dreaming of becoming an RAF fast jet flyer instead of actually being one. I wanted to see my mother again and see my father unstressed and happy. I wanted my family back together, but now not only one, but two pieces were missing.

I looked down to the clear water, the waves pushing it past my bare feet on a rhythmic count. The sand sinking and covering my feet so much I'd have to lift them out every so often so I wouldn't lose my balance.

The sun was beginning to set in the distance and I could hear the crickets begin to chirp in the trees. Payne had disappeared into them an hour ago, searching for more food to go with our fish. I however, had already lost my appetite and desire to stay on the island.

"Woods?" I could hear him call, while walking down to the beach, dropping a few things at the fire pit and continuing down towards me. I huffed, hearing him come closer, just wanting to be alone at the moment.

He stopped beside me, looking over to me and then out into the ocean towards the sun. We both watched the sky begin to fade from the bright pinks to a dark blue, signaling the end of the day.

"I can't take it here any longer." I said bluntly, not shifting my gaze from the landscape before us.

"I know it's hard Woods, but rescue will come eventually." He replied making me glare. How the hell did he still have hope?

"Payne, we've been out here for two weeks. They would've found us by now if they were actually looking." I groaned, throwing my hands up in the air in frustration.

"They are Woods, it just takes time." He reasoned again. Why did he always have to be so optimistic? Did he ever have a pessimistic thought?

"Payne! They found my mother's body the day after she crashed. They've had 14 fucking days! Just look at us!" I screamed trying to get him to snap back to reality.

"My teeth are decaying by the minute, my armpits and legs are as bushy as yours, my body is covered in dirt, and my hair looks like a sheepdog!" He still kept his composure however, not shouting back at me, just staring at me with a blank face. I shook my head at him, tears beginning to fill my eyes.

"We haven't had a full human meal in two weeks." I said, my voice cracking at the end a bit. He just stared at me awhile longer before placing both of his hands on my shoulders gently.

"Woods, you are a RAF flyer. We do not give up. We keep fighting-"

"Payne do you even realize why we are here? Because of the fighting. We were attacked by North Korea. We probably started the nuclear war!" I exclaimed, my eyes going wide in realization as I gasped, putting my hands to my mouth.

"We started the nuclear war. Payne! Our families are being bombed! Louis a-and Harry and the rest of the district are being sent off into combat! The entire world-" I began panicking, amazed at how I hadn't thought of it before. Of course they weren't looking for us, they were fighting a bloody war!

"Woods you need to calm down. Without you thinking clearly, I know we'll never make it out alive. Trust me when I say-"

"Trust you? You expect me to fucking trust you? After all that shit you did behind my back at camp?" I asked, absolutely infuriated. I pulled his hands off my shoulders and pointed a finger at him menacingly.