Chapter 15 - ENZO

"Enzo, we have scoured the security footage all the way from here to the airport, there is no sign of her," explained Dante. I was having none of it. I demanded he looked through them again, and began making more calls.

It had now been two days since I realised that Katarina had not ended up at her mother's. God, I am so stupid. I should've called her ages ago, just to make sure she is safe. She should've gone with protection. If I hadn't got shot like the idiot I am, I wouldn't have been knocked out when she left and I would've forced her to take protection, guards, knives, guns, anything.

I began making calls, more calls. I had been on so many calls recently. Suddenly, Antonio burst through the doors.

"Someone just called me, anonymously, saying they saw someone matching Katarina's description being knocked out by chloroform, they assume, and dragged into a car. It was on the Viale dell' Aeronautica, by the Parco delle Cascine in the centre," he exclaimed.

We rushed over to the computer, looking over Dante's shoulder, as he brought up the footage from that day, on that street.

"I scoured this footage, I swea-" I cut off Dante.

"Look!" Just behind a layer of trees, you could just see the flicker of brown hair, and then a silver car driving away.

"You have no way of knowing that's her," claimed Dante.

"It is." I stated. No further questions. We ran the plates through a software, and the name flashing before us, of Jean-Marc Duval made each of us curl our hand into a fist.

In no time at all we were in a car, driving at speed to the airstrip in the centre of Florence, where my private jet was waiting to take us to Paris. I had some colleagues closer to the area, so I asked them to rush and check the place out before we got there, and if it was right, make a move. When we arrived at his stone-cold castle, much like his stone-cold gaze and stone-cold heart, I noticed it seemed quiet. It seemed way too quiet.

Some of my soldiers went first, checking the place out.

"Empty," one of them called out. We made our way into the castle. There were loads of cars parked in the driveway, what looked like deflated balloons and limp confetti strung around the place. We entered the main hall. It was clear what happened. Whatever event was going on here was interrupted, by an enemy of the French Mafia. There was a huge line of every single leader, co-leader and general of the French mafia, all cold and lifeless, with clear bullet wounds in their heads. It absolutely stank. Flies buzzed around them, and maggots crawled into them. Right on the end, was Jean-Marc himself. I spat on him. Scumbag. One enemy was eliminated, but now I had a new one: whoever the fuck stole Katarina from here. This enemy is clearly very powerful, and not to be fucked with lightly. I heard light footsteps and I spun around to see a terrified maid. She started running away, but Pascal caught up with her and dragged her back down to me.

"English?" I asked. She nodded. "What happened here?" She began sobbing. "I swear, you will join this line if you do not fucking answer me." She froze, clearly wanting to continue sobbing, but terrified of what I might do to her. Her eyes darted to the gun I clenched in my right hand, and I put it back in my waistband, gesturing to my other men to do the same. This seemed to relax her. I offered her my hand and helped her get up, and we sat on two of the discarded chairs.

"What happened?" I said, trying hard to add a large helping of gentleness to my voice.

"The Romanoviches," she stuttered through her words, "they were angry. Jean-Marc, he slapped one of their family, and family is family, so they..."

"So, they shot and killed Jean-Marc and all his associates."

"He didn't just slap her, the poor girl was beaten, whipped and kicked. The Romanoviches weren't expecting her to be here, she wasn't expecting them either." I nodded, listening intently. Poor girl, at least her assailant and all the assailant's associates were lying dead now. I would've done the same. Family is family, and no one touches another member of a mafia leader's family unless you want to meet a cruel fate.

I pulled out a picture of Katarina, and showed the maid, "do you know who this is?" I asked.

"She is the family. Katarina Romanovich."

What. The. Fuck.

I looked around, all of my friends had the exact same expression: absolutely dumbfounded. We had held a member of the Romanovich family captive for months. Well, she wasn't captive, she could leave anytime, and after I employed her, she decided to stay, but still, what the fuck. I wonder if she knew what her family did. The Romanoviches lived in Moscow, and were so proud of their last name, if a man married into the family, he would take the last name of their wife. I was curious as to why Katarina and her family went by the surname 'Mendez', and why they lived in England.

The Romanovich family was perhaps the largest crime family in the world, and it was speculated my crew were a close second. This really would be the two superpowers fighting for Katarina, I guess. Was it a fight worth having? Family always chooses family in a war, it gets complicated when it is family vs family, but that wasn't relevant in this situation.

Then I realised exactly what she was saying. Katarina was the girl who was beaten, kicked, whipped and slapped by that foul excuse for a man. I stood up, grabbed the chair I was sitting on, and smashed it against the floor, I kept smashing it against the floor until it broke into many small pieces. Them I grabbed my gun and shot at the ceiling, scaring no one except the maid. I walked over to Jean-Marc, and shot his dead body until I ran out of bullets.

Fuck it, I'm going to Moscow.

===========================================================================

Hey guys! Please comment and vote, and follow me for updates! 

I wonder what is going to happen in Moscow!! Will it be classy, or will there be a shoot-down. Find out soon, updates to come this afternoon!! (Tuesday 23rd June).

Hope you are all staying safe during lockdown! <3