Chapter 35

XXXV.

Kei.

This is only a club.

But it was everything to my brother. And as a result, it made him tell pointless lies to me. But maybe deep down inside he believed them. That maybe he'll become a regular and the ace in the team if he strive harder. But was it worth it, Nii-chan? Was it all worth it in the end?

Kinomi didn't pursue me to change my mind. But somehow I was kind of influenced by what she said. She made me feel like it's okay to stay the way I am yet at the same time she makes me want to become a better person. My calling? I'm not sure whether it'll make a difference when the time comes.

"What else do we need besides pride?!"

I was surprised at Yamaguchi's outburst it was almost funny. Pride, huh? That's what's keeping them going forward? Probably. But it made me reconsider. So I excused myself and marched back to the third gymnasium.

"Oya? Oya oya?"

"Oya oya, oya?"

The two captains looked at me with those same teasing expressions while Akaashi-san and Kinomi wore their trademark poker faces. But the latter smiled in satisfaction right after, as if she knew what I came for.

"There's something I'd like to ask you. May I?"

"Sure!" The captains said in unison, their smiles still intact.

"Thank you very much." I bowed, their smiles wiping off at my next statement. "Both of your schools are sometimes considered powerhouse schools, right?"

"Well, yeah." Kuroo-san clicked his tongue in annoyance.

I ignored their irritation and kept going. "Even if you were able to make it to Nationals, actually winning there would be difficult, right?"

"But not impossible!" Bokuto-san retorted, annoyed as well.

"Now, now, let's hear him out. This is just a what if." Akaashi-san said in a calm tone.

"This is not even the main question yet." Kinomi added.

"I seriously can't figure out how everyone can be so determined. Volleyball is just a club, and maybe you'll get to write, 'I worked really hard in my club in high school,' on your resume, right?"

Kinomi smirked, and I gawked at her. I don't know whether she's amused or impressed at my question, but I wanted to know why I'm the only one who thinks this way even when I'm sure they all experienced what my brother has gone through.

My attention was shifted to Bokuto-san when he spoke in an offended tone. "Just a club?" But I guess he wasn't that offended... "That sounds like someone's name."

"Ooh, like Mary Club?" Kuroo-san asked with wide eyes. "No wait, I guess it was 'just some club.'"

"Aw, man! So it doesn't sound like someone's name. Man, I was so close!"