Chapter 4

IV.

The taste of the food at the canteen reminded me of the taste of hospital food. And as people describe, it was not made to impress one's taste buds. It was like, made just to force food into your system... just something that I should settle at the moment.

I scowled slightly at the meat I'm currently chewing and I swear one more swallow and I'd throw up everything I've eaten. I let out a sigh after I've swallowed the horrendous food then put the spoon beside the plate of half finished food. I've had enough.

I'd gone to the restroom to tidy myself up. And when I faced the mirror, I saw my mother. My deadpanned stare turned into a glare and I suddenly felt the urge to punch the mirror. It's so silly, it feels as if my mother never left my side because we almost looked identical. Well, except for the eyes, thankfully.

When I got out of the restroom, I felt eyes watching me so I darted my head on different directions and I found her, an unfamiliar girl peeking against a wall with her lips printed into a smile. She noticed my stare which made her smile grew wider and her hand gestured me to come towards her. I involuntarily arched an eyebrow but nonetheless, I succumbed to her request.

When my feet moved on her way, she had gone ahead and I followed her up the stairs. I opened the door and it led me to the rooftop. I saw the girl and the nerd sitting on the bench with bentos on their hands. And when the nerd witnessed me standing a few feet away from them, her features morphed into a mixture of shock and horror.

"Ah, there you are!" the girl who called me waved at me. "Come join us!"

Although confused, I took a few reluctant steps towards the duo, the nerd never left her worried gaze at me. And while I was walking towards them, I saw her whisper something to her companion which I assumed she asked why she called me.

"Because she saved you!" the girl exclaimed with a chuckle then her gaze shifted to me. "Come join us for lunch, Mikazuki Kinomi-chan!" she patted the seat between the two of them.

"Why?" I blurted out. "And you did you know my name?" I added.

"Duh, you're the famous captain and middle blocker from Kitagawa Daiichi! How I'd always wanted to become part of their volleyball team! So this year, we're going to join the volleyball club, right Yumi?"

"Ah, yeah..." Yumi flinched when her name was called then answered quickly.

Just by those words, I started to feel lightheaded which made me slightly wince because of the memory I had back at middle school. All they know is the famous captain and middle blocker Mikazuki Kinomi from Kitagawa Daiichi. But she's dead, I killed her. And now, the person standing in front of them is a waitress Mikazuki Kinomi from Karasuno. I took a good glance at the nerd. Yumi, huh? So that's the nerd's name.

"I wasn't there when that bitch Ishida--"

"Saori, language." Yumi cut her off with a sharp but innocent look which made Saori roll her eyes.

"Are you going to join the volleyball club as well, Kinomi-chan?" Saori asked me and I raised an eyebrow at the name.

"Already familiar with me?" I questioned, my lips curling up in a small smirk. "And no, I'm not interested in joining."

Yumi and Saori were shocked at this. "E-Eh? Why not? You're pretty good at this!" Saori whined.

I ignored her complaint. "And I didn't save her," I countered curtly, turning on my heels. "I just told her to stop treating herself like the queen of the school because she doesn't look like one anyways." and with that said, I walked away from them.