Chapter 16

XVI.

I've been pacing back and forth onto my living room for almost half an hour as I contemplated whether I should dial the telephone or not. Is it really a good idea for me to ask for her help? She might misinterpret this but she is the only person I thought that could help me so I guess...

I gulped what seemed like the lump in my throat then picked up the phone and dialed the number. With my shaking hand, I hovered the telephone on my right ear as I listen to the continuous beeping sound until a male voice came after that.

"Hello?"

I half-expected that he would be the one to pick up the call but what the hell... I wasn't prepared for this. And although it was only one word and it had a nonchalant tone to it, I immediately recognized whom that voice belonged to. As if instinct took over me, my finger immediately pressed the end call button and I slammed the telephone on the table. It was just then that I realized what I had just done.

I screeched and messed up my brown locks in frustration and annoyance. "What the hell are you doing, Kinomi?!" I yelled at myself and felt the urge to hit my head against the wall.

Calm down, it's not him who you need to talk to, it's his mother. Calm down and pick the fucking telephone again.

After a few moments of battling with myself, I finally picked up the telephone and pressed the same numbers I dialed earlier.

"Who is this?" There was a hint of mild irritation on his voice and he didn't bother to hide it. I clutched tight onto the telephone as I open my mouth to state my business.

"Is this the Tsukishima household?" I asked slowly and I prayed to all of the gods existing that he wouldn't recognize my voice.

"Yeah,"

"I need to speak to Kina-san, please."

"Okay, hold on." Silence embraced the other line and I waited a few moments until a female voice replaced it.

"Hello, Kinomi-chan! I'm so happy you called! How are you? Are you feeling fine now?"

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Ho-how did you know that..." I trailed off, getting a hunch that my mind wouldn't permit to finish.

"Kei told me that you needed to talk to me-"

"What? Tsukishima knew that it was me who called?" I exclaimed then draped a hand over my mouth in absolute bewilderment but that was soon replaced by the urge to find a rock and live under it for the rest of my life.

"Of course, it's not that hard to recognize the voice of your other half, you know~" She teased and it followed by her childish giggle.

I face palmed myself. "Kina-san..."

I could imagine an excited grin plastered on her face. "Why do teenagers take everything seriously these days?" She asked to nobody in particular.

I sweat dropped. "Um, I hope I didn't disturb you at any way..."

"Not at all, so what do you need to talk to me about?"

"You see..." I trailed off, thinking of the right words to say. I tapped my finger on the table, pursing my lips in a thin line as I braced myself for her reply at my statement. "I kind of... need your help." I didn't know why I abruptly shut my eyes.

"Oh really?" She asked with mild bewilderment but later on I sensed the smile on her voice. "I'd love to help, Kinomi-chan. What is it about?"

"It's about your son..." I managed to squeak out as I felt my face heat up in embarrassment.