Chapter 24

Epilogue

12 years later

  The first day of Spring found Severus and Daphne relaxing on the terrace in the courtyard. "Louis will be going to Hogwarts in the Fall when term begins," Severus held up the letter from Headmistress McGonagall. 

Daphne's eyes fixed on her children playing about the great lawn, "He's only just eleven last week. He's still my baby. And why not Beauxbatons?" 

Severus championed his old school, "The restorations at Hogwarts modernized virtually the entire castle and grounds. Well, almost. Well, ok, brought it out of the Middle Ages. And I asked Minerva to get rid of that archaic sorting hat. Now only the athletics teams are sorted into the four houses and that's done by the captains." 

Daphne smirked, "Granted Hogwarts' Quidditch teams are consistently the best. And Louis does love his Quidditch. And, the building is newer, most of it anyway. Thanks to the generosity of my wonderful husband," Daphne reached for Severus' hand. He took it and squeezed lovingly. 

She acquiesced, "Ok, but this is only settled as far as Louis Albus is concerned. Claude, Gabrielle and Margot will be discussed when their times come." 

Severus smiled, "Yes, my love."

Daphne got up from her chaise and went to sit at the round dining table. Opening a folder she had laid there earlier, "Sev, the council approved our renaming of the 'Great Lodge' back to its original name, 'Prince Hall'." 

Severus raised an eyebrow and said in his most sarcastic tone, "That was good of the council to allow us to name our own house." 

Daphne giggled then continued, "Also, the Prince Foundation we set up 11 years ago is due for its annual fundraising banquet. I am of course inviting Minerva and I sent for the enrollment records regarding the underprivileged student admissions." 

Severus frowned, "Is anything wrong?" 

Daphne replied, "No, no, all is in order. It's just that the Foundation supports underprivileged students as well as the year end Wizard and Muggle job fair. Even with those scholarships and the fair there is still an excess of funds. I was wondering if we could support similar programs at Beauxbatons?" 

Severus smiled wryly, "You are the CEO, my darling, as well as co-founder. I bow to your wisdom."

Neder popped in with afternoon tea. 

Daphne called to Louis and Claude, "Boys, tea." The boys came running down the great lawn, racing, tumbling and laughing. 

Daphne didn't see the girls, "Gabi? Maggie? Nanny Esmy? Tea." 

Esmy strode out from the wildflower garden with the girls in tow. Esmy was a stern looking matronly elf with a heart of gold and the children loved her. 

Margot was the youngest at four years old. Her black wavy hair framed her little round face and her big deep brown eyes. She climbed up Severus' leg and thrust out a little fist full of wildflowers, "Here, Daddy, I pick these for you." 

Not to be outdone, the six year old, cinnamon-haired Gabrielle was at her father's side holding out her own handful of wildflowers, "Me too, Daddy, for you." 

Severus gathered up his two little girls and pulled them to his chest. Cuddling them both, he exclaimed, "Thank you, Gabi. Thank you, Maggie. Daddy loves his baby girls!" 

Daphne shook her head, smiling, "True Daddy's girls." 

The raven-haired Louis shoved a cake in his mouth. Spitting crumbs he said, "I'll pick you some flowers too, Mum...after tea." Eight year old, brown-haired Claude mumbled through a mouthful of ham sandwich, "Me too, Mum." 

Daphne smiled as she handed the boys their napkins, "Thank you, my sweet boys. But, please don't talk with your mouths full."

Severus and Daphne stood on their terrace in the courtyard, holding hands and watching as the sun set behind the hills. Daphne slipped her arm around Severus' waist as he wrapped his arm around her neck and shoulder. 

Daphne leant her head on his chest, "I love our life, I'm so happy. Are you happy, my love?" 

Severus thought back to how his abusive early life had begun, only to get worse before going horribly wrong. It was all a faded memory now, like a bad dream. His life for the last thirteen years had been a fairy tale. Severus had found himself. And he was a good man. 

"Yes, my love, very happy," Severus kissed her forehead. 

The couple hugged each other then turned and walked into the original Prince family home, their home, 'Prince Hall'. Life was perfect.

The End  

@}~,{~~~~~