Chapter 17

Friday night's dinner in Paris followed by a day filled with walking, surveying and inspecting the grounds of Chateau lePrince had been a whirlwind of activity. Neder had seen to it that supper was set on the terrace of the master suite where the couple had enjoyed breakfast. He thought it to be more intimate than the large dining room downstairs. Severus and Daphne smirked knowingly at Neder's push for romance between the two. 'Dinner could wait a few more minutes,' Severus thought rather devilishly. 

The hot shower, while washing away the energetic day, was perfectly conducive for making love and the couple took full advantage. Lighting the candles on the terrace Neder could hear the happy sounds coming from the Master's bath. He beamed with a huge grin of accomplishment. 

Dressed in fresh terry robes Severus and Daphne finally sat down at the white-clothed table. Candles floated about the terrace while the sun set on the lavender horizon. Lights sparkled on the pond as the swans drifted by, occasionally dipping their elegant heads to catch a quick snack.

The Coq Au Vin was perfect, served with buttery toasted bread and, of course, accompanied by Chateau lePrince elf wine. "It's lovely here," Daphne sighed. 

Severus' curiosity finally got the better of him, "Why Beauxbatons and not Hogwarts?" 

Daphne chuckled lightly, "My parents thought Hogwarts was too gloomy and outmoded. And Scotland is cold. My mother went to Beauxbatons. She was born in Lyon." 

Severus was curious, "How did they meet?" 

Daphne went dreamy, "It's quite romantic really. They were both born post WWII in 1946. My Dad's father fought in France against the Nazis. In 1966, while my Dad was home from University for the summer, my grandfather took them on a trip to France. Mainly, to pay respects to some of his mates that didn't make it home. My grandfather was a pilot, during the war, for the RAF and was shot down just south of Toulouse, France. There was an escape route through the Pyrenees, 'the Freedom Trail' they called it. Beauxbatons' staff and students helped Jews and Allied soldiers, lost and wounded, cross over into Spain. My grandfather took his family to see Beauxbatons and thank the Headmistress for helping him during the war. My mother was doing her mediwitch apprenticeship there. My Dad and Mum met, fell in love and here I am."

"Your grandfather fought in a Muggle war?" Severus asked. 

Daphne looked perplexed, "Yes, of course. They have always been active in the Muggle world and Hitler was a global threat. It was the only prudent thing to do." 

Seeing the puzzlement in Daphne's eyes Severus promptly clarified, "It was just a scenario that rang familiar. My family...well, the Prince line...was also active in both Muggle and Wizarding worlds. And their wars. There were many instances throughout the centuries in the family accounts. Some were even honoured as heroes." 

Daphne smiled and reached across the table taking Severus' hand in hers, "And so you have continued that legacy." 

Severus took hold of Daphne's outstretched hand and smiled, slightly embarrassed, "No...I'm no hero. I was a soldier. A spy for Dumbledore. I was scared most of the time." 

Daphne got up from her chair and went to sit on Severus' lap. The evening air was cool and scented with lavender. "Most heroes are scared. But meeting danger head-on, in spite of that fear, is what makes a hero," she breathed into his ear delicately brushing her lips against it.

She added thoughtfully, "That must have been terrifying facing Voldemort knowing the least little slip up would cost you your life and the lives of countless others. He was a monster. He would have eventually become a global threat, just like Hitler. You are very brave, Severus. A true hero. My hero." 

Daphne leant in and kissed him. The kiss grew more passionate. Severus stood and sweeping Daphne up in his arms walked through the French doors into the bedroom. They made love throughout the night.