Chapter 3

Morning broke through the windows and Severus opened his eyes and yawned. Stretching his arms and legs he sat up in bed. He felt stiff and sore from head to toe, likely from the weeks spent unconscious. Neder was in the room having drawn back the heavy drapes from the tall windows, 

"Sir is awake? Would Sir like some breakfast?" 

Severus nodded in the affirmative. Throwing back the bedcovers, he stood up and promptly fell to the floor in a heap. Neder levitated Severus back onto his feet holding him there magically until Severus steadied himself. Frustrated, he sat back onto the bed. Severus noticed his wand sitting on the nighttable. He found his parchment and wrote, 

'I need the loo and a bath'. 

Neder read the scribbling and answered, "Neder can support Sir to the bath and any other assistance Sir requires. Sir's every need has been anticipated." 

With that, Neder held out his hands and Severus felt himself braced and guided as he walked to the bathroom. Severus leaned against a substantial oak and marble vanity. Gaining his own balance, he made his way to the toilet. Neder prepared a hot bath in the huge white marble tub. Stripping off his nightshirt, Severus lowered himself into the gently steaming scented waters. Immediately he felt the soreness leave his muscles. He looked around at the slate floors and the deep gray slate walls. He laid his head back on the tub and his mouth dropped open. His eyes widened at the sight of an impressive architectural leaded-glass ceiling depicting a leafy canopy.  He had seen  extravagance by the Malfoys but nothing to this extent. Severus shook his head at his new found fortune.

After a good soak he washed his hair and his emaciated body. Severus could count his ribs as his skin slid over bone. Neder levitated a heated towel at the side of the tub. Severus raised himself up, took the towel and dried off. Pulling on the long luxurious bathrobe Neder had provided, Severus walked to the great marble vanity and sink. As he finished brushing his teeth he glanced up at his reflection in the mirror. He curled his lip in disgust as shivers ran through his body. There, in the mirror, stood a haggard, pale figure. Black eyes, darkly circled, stared back at him beneath long wet black hair and beard. Severus looked like Death itself.

A flash of light seared across the front of his brain. Severus grabbed the vanity and held on. 'Nagini! Mouth open wide. Long sharp fangs flying at my throat,' Severus wavered, disoriented and queasy. He remembered the taste of his own blood. He was dizzy and nearly breathless. Neder's soft voice broke through the veil, 

"Is Sir alright?" 

Severus nodded, uttering a whispered "Yes".  Splashing cold water over his face he regained his composure. He anxiously brushed his teeth, again and again, hard. Finally that thick coppery taste, or the memory of it, was gone. Severus took in some deep breaths to steady himself.

Severus picked up the scissors and razor set dutifully on the vanity. He decided to leave a neatly trimmed, closely cropped beard to fill in the hollowness of his face. He pushed his hair back out of his eyes. He peered into the mirror to critique his barbering skills. He was stunned to see that he had seriously grayed at the temples. 

"What the Hell! When did that happen?" His once smooth baritone was raspy. 

Neder offered, "Lady Malfoy says Sir's hair turned white because of trauma." 

Severus sighed, shrugging in silent submission. 

Back in his bedroom, he put on a clean nightshirt and slipped again into the warm robe. Neder had his breakfast tray waiting. Severus sat down in one of the plush leather chairs in front of the fireplace. Hot porridge and some softly scrambled eggs went down easily enough through the soft fleshy inner workings of his injured throat. 

He breathed out, "Neder, what is the extent of my throat injury?" 

Neder sighed, "Sir's throat was nearly torn out by that awful monster. Our healer elf, Eiry, used very strong elf magic to help heal Sir. Lady Malfoy used some wizarding pain relief and calming spells for Sir too. Sir's throat will be good as new soon." 

Neder looked down, eyes glistening, "Well, except for Sir's scars. Eiry said Sir's scars can only be partially healed The damage was too great." 

Severus nodded as he whispered, "That's ok, Neder. Please thank Eiry for me." Neder brightened and with a 'pop', vanished.