Chapter 4

Severus was settling into a routine now. He walked into his bedroom after his morning ablutions, picked up his wand and spell-dried his damp hair. He had regained consciousness 8 days ago. As his energy increased, Severus began to feel restless. 

"I think I'll venture further afield today, Neder," he said confidently. 

  Smiling, Neder presented an ornate silver box. Curious, Severus pushed up the lid. Inside lay several neat rows of black and brown hair ties. Some were leather, some were satin cording. Severus chose a black leather one and tied back his long locks which then fell neatly between his shoulder blades. He walked over to the massive, ornamented armoire. It spanned the length and breadth of one wall. Woodland scenes of deer and elk were intricately carved into its large oaken doors. Opening it, Severus saw at least a dozen robes in varying dark jeweled tones. There were crisp, clean shirts and several pairs of trousers, all neatly arranged by color. Next to those were an array of overcoats in black, grays, browns and deep blues. Several boots lined a low shelf. Below those, 2 long drawers were filled with undergarments, scarves, cravats, belts and socks. 

Shaking his head, "Neder, this is too much. Can you choose something appropriate?"

"Sir is resplendent," remarked Neder, clapping. Severus glanced into the full length oak mirror near the armoire. The white silk shirt felt good against his skin. A royal blue paisley ascot covered his still scarred throat. The dark brown trousers were made of the finest material, fitting perfectly around his thin hips and long legs. His waistcoat was a brown cashmere tweed matching the knee-length, frock coat. The brown leather boots were soft and comfortable. Severus tilted his head quizzically at his reflection. With his elegant clothes, his neatly trimmed beard and pre-maturely graying temples, Severus did look rather 'aristocratic'. 

"Lord Prince, indeed," he said with a bewildered smile.

Severus opened the heavy oak door and walked out into the wide hallway. A squared-C shape with a grand staircase loomed from its center. Neder had given some instruction on the layout of the mansion, emphasizing all the woods and stone used in the building of the 'Great Lodge'. A verdant green, black and gold carpet ran through the center of the slate floor. The walls were the same obsidian slate and oak wood. The staircase was of a beautiful, thickly-cut mahogany from balusters to railing to steps. It looked like it could have been carved out of a single giant tree, such was the craftsmanship. Severus looked over the banister and could see all the way to the main floor. A long stained glass window, lit brightly by the morning sun, gave everything a warm glow. 

His rooms took up the entire third tier of the stately country house. There was a private sitting room to the left and another bedroom suite. To the right sat a private library as well as another bedroom suite. All as ornately decorated as his bedroom had been. Rich oak doors lead into rooms lined in oak wainscotting and mouldings. They boasted large tapestries, draperies and carpets, and gracious furnishings. Severus still found himself a bit awestruck even knowing what to expect. The stairs snaked down and around to a second landing. There were four doors on either side and 6 doors across the center hall. Severus understood these were the guestrooms.

He descended the staircase stepping down into a capacious foyer on the main level. He immediately noticed the immense mahogany double doors of the entrance, again intricately carved with woodland scenes. Their beauty rivaled those of the great hall at Hogwarts. On either side of the doors set tall etched-glass windows. Two towering tapestries hung like bookends on the side walls of the vast entryway. Severus had never been to Prince Manor but he could not imagine it was any more spectacular than this place. 'The Great Lodge made Malfoy Manor look like a stone cold hovel', Severus smirked to himself.

To the right of the foyer loomed an impressive library, well-stocked with shelves and shelves of books that seemed to go on forever. To the left a massive salon sat serenely waiting for activity. More tall stained glass windows, slate, wood, leather, tapestries, draperies and carpets furnished the elegant space. The masterpiece in the room was a beautiful hard-rock maple grand piano. This main gathering hall led into a large dining room resplendent with a heavy mahogany table beautifully carved from top to the enormous claw feet below. There was seating for twelve on each side and one at each end. The chairs, carved to match the table, sported leather cushions in the seats and backs. French doors ran the length of the entire far wall. They seductively beckoned out to a limestone courtyard even larger than the dining room itself. 

Walking through the open doors, Severus didn't think he could be any more impressed. He was wrong. Gardens blossomed and the heady scent of flowers filled the air. Birds sang on the wing, flitting through trees, hedges and shrubs. Deer grazed on the expansive lawns that seemed to stretch into the rolling hills beyond. Severus finally sat down on the steps of the courtyard, catching his breath and shaking his head in wonder. 

"Surely all of this is a dream. This can not be real," he muttered. 

"Oh, it's very real, Severus," Narcissa's voice gave him a start. She put out her hand for assistance. Severus took it in his own and helped her sit beside him on the steps. She reassured him, 

"We have been here for a month and were as overwhelmed as you are now. It is an amazing estate, Severus, and it is all yours. In fact, the title and all of the Prince family properties are yours. This place far surpasses the manor house. Have you ever been to Prince Manor?" 

Severus spoke reflectively, "No. My mother was disowned. Though Neder informs me that blood ties override any dissension in direct lines." 

Narcissa replied matter-of-factly, "That is correct. Blood is thicker than water, as it were." 

Then she added, "My, my, don't you look every bit the Lord of the Manor. A true Prince. I like the beard. Quite handsome indeed." Severus scoffed, feeling a slight blush warm the sides of his face.

"Now that you are up and about, I'll get back to my own home. I'm still Mistress of Malfoy Manor after all," Narcissa stood to bid him farewell. Severus leaned in to kiss her cheek, "Thank you for rescuing me and nursing me back to health, Cissa." She smiled, "As I told you, we owe a life-debt. But you are very welcome anyway." Before disapparating she added, "Enjoy it all, Severus. Be happy."