Chapter 16

The sun was shining brightly in the mid-morning sky. A light breeze and the heady scent of lavender tickled Severus awake. Neder had pulled back the drapes and opened the French doors. As Severus blinked open his eyes Neder said softly, 

"Neder has set breakfast on the terrace for Sir and Miss." 

Severus nodded, "Thank you." 

Neder was curious, "Is Sir happy?" 

Severus quietly chuckled, "Yes, Neder, very happy." 

Neder grinned broadly then stood up on tiptoe to peer over Severus, "Is Miss happy?" 

Severus looked over at the sleeping Daphne, "She looks contented." 

Neder grinned, from ear to ear this time, and left with a soft 'pop'. Severus leaned over and kissed Daphne's ear. She stirred, smiling. They made love again.

Neder had laid matching terry robes at the foot of their bed. Putting them on, the couple walked out onto the terrace for breakfast. 

"Oh, Severus, this is amazing," Daphne marveled as they took in their view. 

Two symmetrical fields, full of lavender, flanked a rectangular pond the size of a Quidditch pitch. A narrow stone bridge spanned the width of the pond leading to a long wide lawn still bordered by the lavender fields. Daphne delighted in a family of swans drifting about leisurely on the water not in any hurry to go anywhere. Severus offered Daphne a chair at the wrought iron table. The couple indulged in eggs, berries, croissants, coffee and juice. 

Severus teased, "Neder asked me this morning if you were happy. What should I tell him?" 

Daphne smiled, "You may tell him, yes, very happy." Then added, "Paris, dinner, last night, all just  brilliant. Thank you." Daphne put out her hand across the table. Severus reached for it, squeezed it and smiled, "I'm happy too."

The couple bathed and dressed. Armoires had been generously stocked with his and hers clothing fit for the French countryside. They briefly toured the large stately home. 

Daphne noted, "The entire house is designed beautifully in the French chinoiserie style. Beauxbatons was done in like fashion. This is much nicer though. I love it!" 

Severus looked around, "A lot of murals and shiny fabric. Nice though." 

Daphne smiled as she spun around, "I think it's lovely. The blues and yellows and greens and creams and whites..." 

Severus snorted, "So...you like it?" He gave Daphne a wink. She was blushing with enthusiasm, "I love it."

The rest of the day was spent inspecting the grounds, gardens, vineyards and winery. They were guided through the grounds and gardens by the head jardiniere Aggie, an older female elf in a straw bonnet, floral dress and big leather gloves. Aggie was apparently the matriarch of a whole host of gardeners for the family Prince, "Aggie's family has cared for these grounds since Aggie was a wee one. Now many of Aggie's family care for all the gardens at Sir's properties." 

Daphne complimented Aggie on the lushness of the lavender fields so late in the season. "We will be setting up the polytunnels soon to protect against the coming Winter. Sir's lavender is supplied to some of the finest parfumeries in the world year round," Aggie told them adding, "The records and ledgers for the past 5 years are on Sir's desk in Sir's study for Miss' perusal." 

Daphne smiled at Aggie's efficiency, "Thank you, Aggie." Severus leaned in to whisper in Daphne's ear, "My family farms lavender. Who knew?" Daphne softly giggled.

The tour of the vineyards was lead by head vigneron, Vincent. A strong stocky elf who obviously took great pride in his cultivation of the grapes at Chateau lePrince. He explained, "Vincent is 5th generation grower. The 2nd generation here at Sir's Chateau lePrince. My family taught Vincent and now Vincent is teaching his family. Generations of grape growers we are. Sir grows only 4 of the recognized Noble Grapes because they are consistently the best, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc, and Riesling." 

Severus was impressed, "Thank you, Vincent. You've done a fine job. A very fine job indeed." Vincent beamed, sticking out his noble chest with a sincere sense of satisfaction.

The winery was presented by lead vintner, Savi, "Savi is so happy to see another Master at Chateau lePrince. Sir's wine is some of the finest elf wines in the world." 

Severus interjected with a wry smile, "Neder says they are the best."

Savi blushed, "Sir's wine is the best. Savi did not want to sound vain." Savi added, "Sir's winery also produces the finest sparkling wines and brandies found anywhere in the world." 

Severus nodded and smiled at the little elf's pride. 

Daphne and Savi spent the next hour going over ledgers and records while Severus took the time to inspect the winery itself. Intricately constructed chutes and troughs filled with grapes shifted, swung and spun. Huge vats bubbled. Giant casks were filled, sealed and stored. Elves moved about as their hands conducted the magical symphony that was winemaking. Severus was struck by the efficiency of the elves and the atmosphere of shear joy that pervaded Chateau lePrince.