Chapter 10

Neder greeted Minerva McGonagall in the foyer of Prince House. He lead the Headmistress through the elegant sitting room into the conservatory where afternoon tea was waiting. 

Severus stood as the older woman entered, "Hello, Headmistress. May I present my solicitor, Daphne Primrose." Daphne and Minerva nodded and smiled. 

Severus motioned for all to sit as Neder served tea. Minerva looked at her one-time student and colleague thoughtfully, 

"Sev-, Your Lordship, you are looking extremely well. I was shocked to hear -," she halted mid-sentence trying to find the words. 

Severus picked up the thought, "That I had survived? Yes, I'm sure it was a shock to many, Headmistress." 

Minerva winced, "Yes, I was shocked. But after the truth was brought to light, I was glad..am glad. I truly am, Severus- Pardon me, Your Lordship." She inhaled and protested gently, "Are we to be so formal, after all the years we've known each other? All that we've been through together." 

Severus smirked as a tinge of bitterness overtook him, "Together? Oh, yes, you are referring to the several times when I, as your student, came to report the bullying I was subjected to by Potter, Black and company, only to be informed that I was too sensitive." 

Severus was calm, but relentless, "Or perhaps the many times I was sent by Albus Dumbledore into the viper's nest to face Voldemort and the countless times I was beaten and Crucioed merely to satiate the Dark Lord's vile sadistic lust for another's pain. Or the time you called me...'Coward'."

Minerva McGonagall was visibly shaken.  The proud professor and now Headmistress was not accustomed to admonition by anyone and certainly not a former student. She stood, faltering slightly, "Perhaps this was a mistake. I'll leave." 

Severus stood, calmed himself and, reaching to touch her arm, said gently, "Minerva, wait. Stay....Please." 

They sat down and the older woman spoke contritely, "I- We all got a lot of things wrong, Severus. We didn't know what was going on. Neither you nor Albus confided in me, nor anyone else for that matter. Yes, the Order knew you were spying for us but we...after Albus..." her voice trailed off before picking up again, "It was war, Severus. We all lost part of ourselves. You more than most, we came to find out later. I'm so sorry, Severus. I truly am." 

His gaze drifting into memories, Severus reflected, "I asked Albus not to let our covert activities be known to anyone. Not to you. Not to the Order. Not to anyone. It was too dangerous. Dangerous for me and for anyone who knew. But the work was vital, the information valuable.  

When Albus became ill I tried everything to cure him. But I could only prolong the inevitable. Then..." 

Severus paused to swallow hard,  "Then, he asked me to-" his voice wobbled, taking on a grave sadness, "he instructed me to kill him. He didn't want to die a slow decaying death from the curse nor did he want to die at the hands of Belatrix LeStrange and certainly not Voldemort." 

Severus sighed deeply, "After his dea- After that, nothing mattered. I didn't care if I lived or died...It broke me...I never expected to survive the war, Minerva. I didn't want to." 

Daphne, who had been sitting quietly listening, touched his arm. He glanced over and saw compassion in her bright hazel eyes. Severus gave her a modest smile and placed his hand over hers. 

"But I had a responsibility...a duty. A promise to protect the school, as Headmaster, against the Carrows...as best I could and still maintain my cover. I had to complete my mission, fulfill my purpose, defeat Tom Riddle...at. all. cost. 

Yes, Minerva, it was war. For me a long, brutal, exacting war. A war that destroyed my very soul." 

Minerva's eyes filled with tears. For the first time, she understood all that Severus had sacrificed in the name of the greater good.

After a few silent moments, Severus asked sincerely, "How goes the recovery process?" 

The elder witch straightened, "We lost good people. We are all trying to work through our grief. It's been difficult."

After a pause to collect her thoughts she continued, "The school will reopen next fall. I don't suppose you would want to return as Headmaster? Or, Potions Masters are hard to come by, especially those as talented as you, Severus." 

Severus closed his eyes for a moment, then spoke pensively, "No, Minerva. I never wanted to be Headmaster. That is your position rightfully. And I wasn't a teacher. I was a soldier disguised as a teacher, however badly. And that...all of that...was another life."

A short pause later, Severus gathered his thoughts and cleared his throat before proffering, "Minerva, I've asked Miss Primrose to be here because I find myself in the unique position to be able to help in the recovery of those who need assistance and in the restoration of Hogwarts. I wish to donate the contents of one of my family vaults to facilitate that end. Miss Primrose, I believe you have the inventory of vault 12." 

Daphne pulled a ledger from her briefcase and locating the information she stated, "Yes, Your Lordship. The sum total of the contents of vault twelve is 69 million galleons, 221 thousand sickles, 394 knuts." 

Severus nodded, "Excellent! Please arrange for the entire contents of vault 12 to be transferred to the Hogwarts vaults at Gringotts as soon as possible." 

Turning to the Headmistress, he asked amiably, "If that will be satisfactory, Minerva?" 

Obviously in shock, the wide-eyed witch nearly fell off her chair. Severus reached out for her trembling cup, sitting it on the table. He added a splash of brandy to her tea and handed it back to the woman. She took the cup and drank down the cocktail in one gulp. Severus' brow raised as the ends of his mouth curled into a smile.

At the door Minerva McGonagall broke character and embraced Severus. Severus put his arms around his one-time teacher and colleague, "Minerva, I very much look forward to our...friendship." 

Minerva, still awestruck and slightly tipsy, wiped a tear from her eye, "Me too Severus, me too."  

Severus asked Neder to see the visibly overwhelmed Headmistress safely back to Hogwarts. With a 'pop' they were gone. 

Severus took Daphne's hand, "Today has been quite a journey for me, Miss Primrose. Are you sure you won't stay for dinner? It's the least I can do for all your work...and support." Severus sounded weary but grateful. 

Daphne spoke sincerely, "Thank you, Your Lordship, but I have an early morning tomorrow if I'm to meet the Headmistress at Gringotts on time. And that was a very kind and extremely generous thing you did." 

She exhaled with a smile, "May I say this has been one of the most fascinating days I have ever experienced, Your Lordship." 

"Please, call me Severus," he insisted. 

"Then you must call me Daphne," she also insisted. 

Black eyes met hazel eyes. For a brief moment there was a crackle of magic between a man and a woman.