Chapter 14

Back in London, Severus and Neder spent the early afternoon going over some estate business at Prince House. The vineyard in France was in need of a visit as it had been running on autopilot, or elf-pilot, for the past 5 years. According to Neder,  grandfather Prince had died at age 125 about 5 years ago and his grandmother died a year after her husband. Severus remembered hearing of his own mother's tragic passing by her own hand a few years prior. He felt a slight pang of remorse that he had not known his grandparents.

Severus shook off the nostalgia bug. He had come away from the Great Lodge today feeling rejuvenated and didn't want anything to dampen his mood. He was looking forward to dinner with Daphne. 

Severus had an idea, "Neder, does Chateau lePrince have a livable house?" 

Neder's reply was immediate, "Oh, yes Sir, a very nice house. The house and grounds are second only to the Great Lodge in size and scale." 

Severus' mind was working overtime, "Does it produce good wine?" 

Neder tilted his head and frowned, "Sir, elf wine is the finest wine in the world. Prince elves tend the vineyards and make the wine. Chateau lePrince grows the best grapes. Sir has the finest wine in the world." 

Severus felt guilty at apparently hurting Neder's feelings, "Sorry, I didn't realize. No offense intended, Neder." 

Neder broke out in a broad grin, "Chateau lePrince supplies Sir's unparalleled wine to some of the top restaurants in Europe. Sir's houses are stocked with wine almost exclusively from Chateau lePrince." 

Severus was impressed with the pride the little elf took in the Prince properties and especially in all the elves' dedication to duty.

Severus asked Neder to ready the house in France for a weekend visit. Neder's demeanor  quickly turned mischievous as he impishly suggested, 

"Perhaps Sir and Miss Primrose will travel there tonight after dinner." 

Severus felt flush at the awkwardness of the suggested situation. With furrowed brow and a slight blush he bristled, "Neder, I wouldn't presume to ask Miss Primrose to spend the weekend with me. The cheek of it." 

Neder shrugged and without an ounce of remorse said, "Neder is sorry. Neder just thought there is business to be done there. The Miss Primrose, as Sir's solicitor, will be needing to inspect the ledgers at some point. And, well...Neder wants Sir to be happy." 

Severus yielded, "Thank you for the concern for my happiness." 

The elf gave one last parting shot, "Neder will see that the Chateau is ready by dinner." 

Severus just shook his head, amused.

Evening approaching, Severus went to his chambers to shower and dress for dinner. The sandalwood scented toiletries had been laid out purposefully, along with his clothes. Neder was not missing a trick. After showering Severus manicured his beard then wand dried his hair. In the bedroom he admired Neder's choice of a Muggle formal black suit. It had been paired with a gray waistcoat, cravat and handkerchief. As muggle tuxedos go, this was elegant, understated attire Severus could feel comfortable in without looking like a shop mannequin. He tied back his hair with a thick black leather band. The band was tooled and handpainted with an intricate silver Celtic knot of intertwining dragons. 

"Very subtle, Neder," Severus smirked at a now blushing Neder.

~~~~~~

In her Kensington flat, Daphne called on her friend, Chloe, to help her get ready for her date. Daphne and Chloe were classmates at Beauxbatons and best friends. Chloe was a French muggleborn witch who loved doing up her classmates' hair back at school. Now, she had become one of the world's preeminent stylists with salons in London, Paris and New York City. 

"Chic red dress, ma chérie," exclaimed Chloe as she tucked, twirled, clipped and curled Daphne's long cinnamon tresses. 

"You don't think it is too...you know...revealing?" Daphne worried. 

"What you reveal to this lucky man is up to you, mon chaton," Chloe laughed. 

Daphne blushed as she dabbed on bright red lipstick. Slipping on her four-inch heeled silver sandals, Daphne was nervous, "So, Chloe, what do you think?" 

The thin spaghetti straps held up a frilly red chiffon maxi dress. A sleeveless bodice that flared slightly at the waist falling into cascading ruffles and slit up the middle of each leg. Her hair was pulled up in ringlets that accentuated Daphne's bare shoulders and upper chest. 

"Magnifique, ma petite puce!" Chloe threw a kiss into the air.