Chapter 11

Neder interrupted Severus' breakfast, wringing his long-fingered elfen hands anxiously, "Sir, Neder is nervous. There is a man at the door with two larger men standing behind him. They do not look friendly, Sir. Neder has a bad feeling. Should Neder send them to the deserts of Egypt?" 

Rising from his chair, Severus pulled his wand from his left sleeve, "No, Neder, let's see what they want first." 

A thought tickled his mind, "Neder, can you transform into a human figure? A big one?" 

Neder didn't have to be asked twice. Snapping his fingers, the small elf transfigured into a great imposing hulk of a man dressed, contrastly, as a butler. Severus snickered. Tucking his wand hand under his frock coat he walked into the sitting room. As he sat in a chair he gave the elf a nod, "Answer the door, Neder."

  Neder opened the front door and addressed the men, "State your business". 

The gentleman at the forefront spoke up, "Sir Richard Dearlove, Chief of the British Intelligence Service, here to see Lord Prince." 

Neder played his part well, "Do you have an appointment?" 

A hint of irritation laced the man's voice, "My good man, I am here on official State business." 

Neder stayed calm, "One moment," closing the door in the official's face. Neder looked over to Severus who was nearly beside himself with amusement. Gathering his composure Severus stood and indicated to let the men enter.

  Neder ushered the men into the sitting room and announced unaffectedly, "Sir Richard Dearlove, Chief of the British Intelligence Service, here to see Lord Prince." 

It was all Severus could do to keep from crumpling into a laughing heap on the floor. He discretely tucked his wand into his belt and quelled his inner child. 

Dearlove stretched out his hand, "It is a pleasure to meet you, your Lordship." 

Severus shook the man's hand, "Sir Richard, is it?" 

The man nodded, "Yes, your Lordship. Let me say, to be clear, that I too am a wizard so I am well-aware of who and what you are...and the great debt of service the Muggle and Wizarding Ministries owe you." 

Severus felt his stomach flip-flop as he inhaled, "Good to lay everything out on the table at the start. I like that. Please, have a seat. Neder, bring tea." 

Neder eyed the two men standing behind the Minister and glanced back at Severus. Severus motioned in the direction of the men, "No need for bodyguards, Sir Richard." 

Dearlove admitted, "Assigned to me in my official Muggle capacity." 

"Thank you, gentlemen, please wait in the car," he said, dismissing the men with a wave of his hand.

  "Are they wizards too?" Severus inquired. 

"Squibs. But we do have wizards working in the British government. We only reveal ourselves on a need-to-know basis. Those in the supreme positions of authority know of our collaborative efforts over the centuries but few others do." 

As Dearlove sipped his tea, he continued, "Which brings me to the reason for my official visit. Your skills, and loyalty, as an operative is highly prized. Your family's esteemed standing in Muggle society and your newly discovered, now near legendary exploits as a wizard put you in a unique position to ingratiate yourself into the highest levels of government, business and society, both Foreign and Domestic. As chief of MI-6 I would deem it an honour and a privilege to have you working on our behalf."

  Severus sat back in his chair, folded his arms and considered the man seated opposite him. He had just come through almost two decades as a double-agent and made it out by the skin of his teeth. He was lucky to be alive. He had a second chance at life. He wasn't about to throw that away to play informant for anyone again. 

Severus eyed the man critically, "I've just been through years fighting a horrific war against the most despicable evil...Innocents died. People I respected died...or are now broken. I, myself, nearly died. And you want me to go right back into it as if it were just another day at the office." 

The minister knew better than most Muggle officials the absolute evil that was Tom Riddle, aka Voldemort. His contacts within the Ministry of Magic had warned of the rising threat inside their ranks and fought in the battle when the Death-Eaters took control. 

The man cleared the lump in his throat, "I understand your position. I honestly do, Your Lordship. I lost some good men in the Ministry battle. However, Your Lordship, there are many evils in this world. We must stand against all of them."