Chapter Eighteen

After hearing this Max found a spot that he could dry off and rushed out of the water. He told us he would get a beaded bracelet and be back. While we waited, Pearl and I talked.

She slowly calmed down the more we talked, I could see it in her face. Seeing Pearl calm down made me relax. We didn't even notice that the beach was clearing up and soon we could preform the spell.

It felt like forever before Max returned. He came jogging into the water with a bracelet in his hand. It was made of brown bubbles, or beads as Max called it.

"I'm back." He said out of breath. He leaned against the rock and relaxed.

"Well I'm glad you are, we can almost do the spell now."

"Real- really?"

I guessed that as soon as he got the bracelet he didn't stop running till he got here. He was too out of breath not to be.

He smiled over at me and I felt shivers down my back as well as heat traveling to my face.

"I'll go collect the materials." Pearl turned to me. "What are the materials?" She added a sheepish smile.

I told her what I needed and she was off.

"Jeez, this spell is so simple." Max told me, finally having caught his breath.

"Yep. That's why I know it." I smiled at him.

He jokingly shook his head at me.

I peeked my head over the rock and saw that the only people there couldn't see us.

I looked over at Max and said, "Let's get set up with what we have, no one can see us."

"We have stuff for it?"

"Yep, I left the rocks here from last time."

We pulled ourselves out of the water and onto the rock. I set up the rocks in a half circle with Max's bracelet in the middle. Pearl was soon back with the shells I needed. I took the smaller ones and completed the half circle with them. I took the largest shell, filled it with water, placed it in the middle of the circle, and then placed the bracelet in the shell.

I then finished the spell by focusing on what I wanted to do. It took less time then when I first did it so soon Max had the bracelet on. By the time the spell was finished both me and Max had dried off and were human again. We both jumped into the water.

As I started transforming back to mermaid I swiped the shells off the rock and brushed the rocks around.

We all turned to Max and watched as he took off the bracelet and treaded water. I held my breath. At first nothing happened, and a look at Max's face said he had lost hope, when his tail started transforming into legs started from the fin.

It felt like my eyes we're shining. We had done it! Max was human again! Yes it wasn't fully but he could go into water and have legs. I let out the breath I was holding with so much relief.

I looked up at Max's face and saw he was looking down at his tail changing with the largest smile on his face. He put the bracelet down on a small ledge that came off the rock next to him.

With a dive he was underwater, swimming, with legs. I was happy for him. Pearl and I swam with him for a while before he turned back around and grabbed the bracelet. He put it back on and we all watched as he transformed back into a merman.

Surprising me he jumped forward and kissed me.

Not expecting it at first I didn't kiss back. I wrapped my arms around his neck as I kissed him back.

"Well something happened back at sea witch cave." Pearl said making me and Max break away in a laughing fit.

"Yeah, stuff did happen." I admitted.

"On that note I should be going. Thank you two for helping me. I wish you luck with your issues at home Pearl." He gave Pearl a sympathetic smile.

"Your welcome." Pearl and I synchronized.

"And thanks." Peal added.

With a small nod Max swam off towards shore. We watched him go and once we couldn't see him anymore Pearl turned to me.

"OK. You need to tell me how that happened."

And so I did. She fawned over the really romantic parts and made friendly jokes about some bits.

As we headed home I looked towards the setting sun, remembering everything that happened in the past week. We traveled across the sea, played with dolphins in a shipwreck, rode a whale, Max and I became a thing, we found the sea witch who turned out to be Pearl's mom, and now Max was human again.

I think that's enough adventure for a little while.

And with that I pushed myself to my friend's side.

~Thanks for reading!
The next chapter will be the last! Thank you for sticking with me all the way to here! I hope you enjoy the epilogue.
Enjoy the story :)~