25|wonders won't ever cease this mystery of us

wonders won't ever cease this mystery of us

"I really like this," Gray said, holding the fuzzy blanket tighter around herself as she sat on the bed in Elis's room. She arrived to the lake house before the storm hit, and was supposed to get back to Aunt Lauren's soon, but couldn't quite leave with the pouring rain outside.

"The rain?" Elis asked. "I think me too."

"It's chaotic, but peaceful. It can cause a lot of destruction, but it's also a serene thing to watch."

That was some of Elis's favorite parts about Gray, when the ginger girl talked about random things with as much knowledge and passion. It made Elis's stomach flip when she thought of the amount of feelings she felt for the ginger girl.

"I want us to go back to the hills on one of the days. I kind of liked it there," Elis said, lifting her cigarette to her lips before she took a long drag. "It's also my excuse of spending more time with you since you've proved to be capable of disappearing for like... A week."

"I can only come here with Aunt Lauren's permission," Gray said. "She doesn't really let me go places that much, especially without her."

"Really?" Elis frowned.

"Yeah," the smaller girl nodded. "She's overprotective. It stems from the fact that my own mother died so she feels like she should protect me to the best of her abilities. But I got used to her that it doesn't bother me a lot. I don't have a lot of friends to visit anyway."

Elis didn't mean to be selfish, but the fact that Gray wasn't always around whenever she felt like holding her, or simply just being with her, bothered her a lot.

"I miss you. Whenever you're not here."

Gray's heartbeat escalated, and so did her temperature when she felt her cheeks warming up. "Me too. But I come here whenever I can."

"I know that," Elis smiled, reaching out to hold Gray's hand as she took another drag of her smoke and held the ginger girl's gaze.

"I was also on bed rest. I horrible pains in my stomach this week. It's from something I ate that I didn't know I was allergic to."

The fact that Elis didn't and couldn't know when Gray was sick was a lot for her to handle, and with the knowledge that Elis couldn't reach her through a personal cellphone, she grabbed a pen and a piece of paper from the bedside counter and scribbled down her number.

"You should call me," Elis said, folding the small paper and holding it towards Gray. "With your landline."

"I will," Gray grinned when she took the small paper and safely tucked it in her jacket. "Can't believe I never thought of that before."

"Well from now on," Elis put the remainder of the cigarette off, placing it on the counter and leaning over to Gray. "I'm only one call away."

It was when Gray smiled to reveal her perfectly lined teeth that Elis kissed her, Gray tasting the smoke from the taller girl's mouth.

"You taste like Marlboro's."

Elis grinned in the kiss. "You taste like sweet honey."

"I hate honey," Gray articulated. Elis smiled.

"Me too."

But she loved everything else the ginger girl was.

Everything Gray could offer, Elis would always be in desperate need of it. And even when a few hours passed, when their positions had changed and a few gentle kisses led to heavy make outs, the rain was still pouring, and Elis still found herself higher in the intoxicated drug Gray served as.