Chapter 10

For the guy that ever said that girls are confusing: you've got it all wrong. Guys are the most inconsistant things. For the love of Joshua. Stop playing games. Do you want me to be your friend, enemy, or girlfriend?

"Good morning Ricky T." I say strolling into the drama room, "good morning peers," I smile at the group already in the class.

Jessie seems distraught, "hi Beth," he doesn't make eye contact, just stares at the floor.

I recognize that he must not be in the greatest of moods so leave him alone for the next couple periods.

***

During passing, before the late bell Brielle gets my attention, "Lizzy!"

"Bri!" I reciprocate her enthusiasm.

"How come you have never told me about this relationship going on with you and Jessie?" She asks playfully with her hands on her hips.

"There is no relationship," I correct her.

"From what my sources tell me, you have been having hot eye-sex in english lately."

I laugh, "Page told you that?"

She looks at me expectantly.

"Nope. We are barely friends," I shrug.

"Don't deny the chem Liz. Never deny the chem. You know that you're the only reason why I haven't tried hitting that yet?" She says.

"Go ahead. I could care less," the comment comes out harsher than I expected.

***

"The next lab report is due Monday," The biology teacher explains.

"Crap," I say under my breath.

My mom has me booked for the entire weekend. We are going dress, cake, and jewelry shopping and there is no way I will have time to squeeze a lab report in too.

"You can take the next couple minutes to plan your report with your partner," she announces.

That's when a realization hits me. Jessie and I start talking at the same time, "when--," "I--"

"You go first," he says politely.

"Okay. I accept your proposition."

He seems confused, "what?"

"You know. You do the report, I will fill you in with the homework? Then next time we will switch?"

His shoulders noticeably sag, "oh."

"Perfect," I say, "here's my number so we can figure out where we'll do the handoff."

I scrawl it down on a piece of paper and try to give it to him. He seems distracted once again, he is biting his lip staring at the floor.

"Jessie."

He looks up automatically. His brown eyes holding so much intensity.

"There's my number so we can figure out where we'll do the handoff," I repeat, after I get out of the spell his hotness put me under.

I'm not worried about the homework. Being the slight nerd I am, I knew I was going to be overbooked during the weekend and did it in advance.

"Oh. Okay," he says in that distracted tone of his.

Jessie seems like he is in a bad mood today. His posture is completely off throughout the rest of the period. He keeps running his hands through his hair, and staring at the floor.