Chapter 20

"So I have been thinking," the voice from outside of our apartment says as it swings open, "you have been living here for what? A couple months? And you've never hit the beach?"

Mom's maid of honor shows her face from around the door seeming surprised for a split second to find Princeoton and I seated on the couch.

Great, who invited her?

It's mid Saturday morning and Princeton and I are enjoying a usual weekend activity for us when there are no plans, doing homework while binge watching our favorite shows until our mother forces us to do otherwise.

"Yep," I confirm moving my eyes back to the screen.

"Well lucky for you, we are going to change that, today," she recovers from her evident surprise to see us from a second ago.

How about no?

"The beach?" Princeton asks excitedly, "yeah, I want to go!"

He sits up perkily on the couch.

Gosh the dang dear brother of mine, what happened to being lazy twenty first century kids?

"Haven't you already gone?" I ask about the time when he went with his friends a couple weeks ago.

"Yeah, but we didn't even get in, it wasn't that fun..." he says.

"We need to get your mom out of the house, and to stop doing wedding stuff for a bit," Aubrey adds gesturing to my mom's room where she is currently on Pinterest looking for center pieces.

"Yeah and we are the whitest kids in California," Princeton adds.

"And I still need a date for the wedding," finishes Aubrey.

I say, "Well in that case..." No!

"Please... I need a tan so that I won't look washed out in the dress" Aubrey begs.

You wouldn't have that problem if you chose my dress ya little beshaun. I resist the urge to glare at her.

"Please, Please, Please."

Dang, doesn't she have any other friends?

"Won't the water be cold?" I ask.

"We'll just put our feet in," Princeton offers.

"It's so far away!" I complain.

"It's only forty five minutes, and you can have the aux chord the entire time!" Princeton begs.

I don't know why they are so insistent to bring me anyway, but full aux chord time is hard to resist, so I agree to go the beach.

***

"I'm so happy you guys agreed," says Aubrey halfway through our drive over the music.

I figured that the only reason she invited us is she needed to start tanning, and a date for the wedding and she didn't want to go alone. But she didn't know that we were home and she was obligated to bring us. So, in turn she brought my poor brother and I along with her and my mom.

She was right though, I have lived in California for a couple of months and haven't even been able to touch a beach.

We took my car, the corrolla. Mom is sitting in the passenger seat and Aubrey insisted to drive even though I reassured her I could, since it's my car. She said it was no problem, although I promised it was fine, because it's my car. But she felt she was responsible, because she invited us, even though it's my car.

The only bathing suit I could find was a high waisted tankini with red bottoms and a black and white polka dot top that I bought before we moved last summer. I put a sundress on top of it because I won't be getting in, but a bathing suit seemed more suitable than jeans and a T shirt at the beach.