I Always Knew I Would Die

Hawks grabbed the limp form of Twice and rolled as fast as he could, shielding him from the blast of fire that fried where they had been moments before.
"You could have killed him!" Hawks cried, shuffling Twice out of the way.
Dabi's expression was unreadable save for the small trickle of blood leaking from around his eyes. "I was never worried about Twice. I know a hero must always be ready to save a life."
Despite the unbearable heat around them, Hawks felt his blood run cold.
The man before him was terrifying. With a cold indifference and sharp, hateful eyes.
I'm didn't want to face you!
Hawks forced down his panic. From here on, Dabi was his enemy.
And he wasn't going to let his enemy taste his terror.
"That face," the hero observed, "that's the face of a man who just lost a friend."
Dabi let out a sharp laugh, rising above the crackle of the flames. "Well yeah! Twice was my one chance at achieving my dreams. Now you've taken that away."
Dabi dove at him.
Hawks rolled out of the way, feeling the stapled man's hand brush against his wings as he passed.
A sharp burning sensation cut through him.
As he glanced back, Dabi shoved him to the ground.
The metallic tang of blood filled his mouth as his skull crunched against the floor, leaving him spitting up red.
"Remember what you told me at the Galla?" Dabi placed his foot on the hero's face, pressing lightly on his goggles.
"Well... 'i don't make mistakes' my ass hero!"
With that, the villain stomped his foot down, shattering Hawk's goggles, pressing broken glass into his cheek.
"YOU'RE GONNA GET GLASS IN MY EYE AND MAKE ME BLIND!" the hero cried.
He heard a low laugh above him as Dabi shifted his stance. He now had a foot on the hero's back, between his wings.
"That's a good idea, birdie."
Hawks didn't have time to react.
For the first time in his life, he was too slow.
Blinding blue shot out, searing his face and his back.
The pain was unbearable.
Hawks found himself quietly begging for death.
The burned half of his face was swelling rapidly, blisters forming all over.
Ash from his cremated wings floated all around them, making the air thick and unbreathable.
The smell of burning flesh made his stomach roll.
Just as he closed his eye, accepting his fate, there was a flash of shadow.
As he faded in and out of consciousness, he was vaguely aware of arms wrapping around him, and bright lights flickering all around.

And then there was nothing.

I always knew I would die.

It's an inevitable part of life.

However, I never thought I would fall in love.

Though I suppose, fall is an understatement in my case.

I drowned in love.

And now I am paying for it.

I'm dead.

I suppose this is what I deserve.

I shouldn't have betrayed them.

My greatest regret, is that Dabi stopped me before I got Twice to safety.

He's probably dead now too.

And it's all my fault.

I am the only monster out here.

I am the only one who deserves to be locked away.

A cold shock pulsed through Hawks, shaking him awake.
Through a tired and blurry eye, he saw a masked woman staring down at him, weird metal things in her hands.
That's funny.
The hero faded back out of consciousness.

I thought I was dead.

Guess I couldn't get that lucky.

The next time he woke up, he wanted to cry.
He wanted to scream.
He wanted to tear out his hair- smash his head into the wall- dunk his head in water.

He wanted to destroy himself like he had destroyed Twice.

Break himself like he had broken Dabi.

But he didn't do any of that.
Instead, he sat perfectly still, his eye trained on the wall in front of him.
There were bandages wrapped around half his face as well as down his neck and along his left arm and shoulders.
He felt light weight from the lack of his wings.
The thought of them being too damaged to grow back just made him laugh.
He deserved a fate worse than death.
It'd only be fitting if he lost his quirk leaving him a flightless bird, right?
He laughed harder, sending a wave of protest through his nerves.
The laughs turned to broken sobs.

But no matter how long he cried..

No one came...

He was alone in this world.

And it was his fault.

He had betrayed the one person that has truly loved him and he had truly loved back.

Now he had to pay the price.

Isn't life beautiful?

...

I can make it! The final double thought.
He had managed to sneak out just as Hawks murdered the original Twice.
Now, Twice number two, was gooping his way towards the writhing chaos below them.
"Thank All for One! You're alright!" Mr.Compress called. "If we run we can make it!" He turned.
Twice wasn't paying attention to him though.
His eyes were on Toga, who stood frozen in place a few feet away.
"Twice?" Her voice sounded hollow.
The double stumbled forward, holding out a bright pink handkerchief.
"What's happening?" Compress sounded so far. It was almost funny.
"I had to return your hanky. Thanks for letting me borrow it!" Twice sloshed the cloth onto Toga's hand.
She grabbed hold of him, softly begging him not to leave her behind.
She was apologizing.
That was also funny. Because she hadn't been the one to kill him.
As the last Twice turned to a puddle at his crying friend's feet, he mumbled a final "sorry."
Letting the very last thoughts sink in.

Hawks was wrong to think I needed to start over.

I was happy here.

I had friends and family who love me for who I was!

We made so many fun memories together.

Shigaraki and Spinner and Toga and Compress and Kurogori and Magne and Mustard and Muscular and especially Dabi-
We had all been so close.

I wouldn't change how my life turned out if I had the chance.

This was the perfect life for me.

I hate leaving them behind like this.

But I hope we meet again.

In another life.

I'll wait for you Toga, but please don't kill yourself to join me. You've got so much life left to live. And I want to watch you learn and grow. Even if it means you find someone new.

If they love you too, then I support it!

Hawks... If by chance you can hear my fleeting life's whisper...

Don't be too hard on yourself.

You did what you thought was best for the people you love, and I respect that.

I don't want you to join me any time soon either!

Forgive yourself.

I've already forgiven you.