Stood Up

Hawks looked in the mirror with a frown.
Today was the day.
Well, not the day but it was an important one.
He had spent the last half hour struggling into a crisp black suit with a bright blue button up and dark vest.
He had debated chopping his wings off to get dressed after almost tearing all of the suit.
He was just glad the shirt had an open back so it wasn't as bad as the jacket and its slots.
What a nightmare.
Pushing his slightly sweaty hair out of his face, he took a moment to wonder if Dabi would even like his outfit.
The stapled man had barely been around in the last week since he had asked the hero to come to the Galla with him.
He had simply told him to wear a blue shirt.
Hawks had almost decided to wear a t-shirt just to spite him, but thought better of it.
I wish he was here.
The villain had simply given Hawks a card with an address written on it and said he'd meet him at the party at six thirty.
A glance at his phone told him it was going on four now and his heart skipped a beat.
Picking up his phone, he quickly typed in his password before starting a new text.
Him and Dabi mainly spoke over call on what the hero assumed to be pay phones so he couldn't track the villain. More recently however, Dabi gave him a personal number and they hadn't used it yet.

Underlined words will be the texts.

Hey

He bit his lip as he watched bubbles appear on the screen, indicating that Dabi was typing. They went on for a moment before they disappeared.
His heart sunk a little until they returned once more.

Hey baby bird.
Can't wait to see you all dressed up tonight

He felt his cheeks redden and it pissed him off. He shouldn't blush so easy.

Right back at ya big boy ;)

"No fuck that's stupid!" He ran a hand through his hair. "How do I delete that?"

I bet the suit looks great.

No shit Sherlock.

He felt a smile creep onto his lips as he watched that typing start then stop and wait before going again.

Giving Daddy attitude now, huh?

He froze. "Fuck! What do I say?"
Hawks frantically began typing but immediately deleted the whole message only to drop his phone when Dabi sent another text.
He picked it up with shaking hands, grateful it wasn't cracked.

Yes I did refer to myself as daddy and I know you liked it you bird bastard.

He rolled his eyes.

Well fuck me.

It wasn't until after he hit send that he realized what he had done.

WAIT
NO
I DIDNT MEAN THAT DADDY

"FUCKING AUTOCORRECT!!"
His heart was pounding and he could barely type.

*DABI
I MEANT DABI!

Keep telling yourself that ',:3

Hawks turned off his phone, burying his face in his hands.
"I better head out and start flying."
He looked over the address card. It looked like it was over on the outskirts of Musutafu. It was probably in the middle of nowhere.
Still, he tucked the card and his phone into his pocket before stepping onto his balcony.

The flight took longer than expected, and the icy wind left him shivering.
Still, he was grateful to have made it to the rundown looking building that towered over him.
He stayed perched in a tree, just out of sight.
There was a beefy looking guard standing in a rusted entryway.
Maybe this was a trap.
Had Dabi figured him out and set him up to come meet his demise?
Was their relationship empty?
He shook his head to clear it.
Jumping off his perch, he glided over to the guardsmen.
He smoothed out his suit jacket. The man before him stood at about seven feet tall, making Hawks feel even shorter than usual.
"Give me one reason why I shouldn't kill you right now, hero." The man's voice was a low rumbling growl.
Hawks swallowed the lump in his throat. "I-"
"He's with us."
Hawks's attention snapped to Shigaraki, who was standing in the doorway with an irritated scowl.
The guard apologized, stepping back so the hero could enter.
Upon entry, everything changed.
He found himself in a vast hall, ornately decorated with golds along the arched ceiling.
A low whistle escaped his lips.
"What happened to the shithole I was lookin' at five seconds ago?"
Shigaraki rolled his eyes. The blue haired man was in an all black suit, a black cape trailing behind him. "It was a glamour quirk. The place is disguised so people won't want to check it out. Come on."
Hawks followed the leader down the hall and through a set of grand double doors.
Before him was a room so unbelievably vast he was surprised it was architecturally possible.
Wide marble supports curved up towards the painted dome ceiling.
It was breath taking.
"Welcome to the party," Shigaraki chuckled. "Stay close to a League member at all times or you could run into some trouble, okay?"
The hero nodded, now noticing the countless villains strewn across the floor.
Spinner approached at that moment. The reptilian was dressed in simple dress pants and shirt with a dark vest.
"Hey Hawks, you can chill with me for a bit."
The hero's smile faded. "Where's Dabi?"
Spinner and Shigaraki shared a glance.
That couldn't be good.
"Come on, there's a great bar!" Spinner grabbed his arm, dragging him across the room.
Once seated on a stool the hero let his shoulders slump.
"Why the long face?"
Mr.Compress took the seat beside him, adjusting his mask.
Spinner had vanished.
Hawks shook his head.
"That's fine if you don't want to talk." He turned to the woman behind the counter. "We'll take two shots of your most viscous vodka, if you please."
He waved his hands before a coin appeared on the counter. He flicked it forward and the woman caught it before pouring their drinks.
Hawks said nothing, only looked at the golden light reflecting off the liquid.
"You know, I don't often drink," Compress said gently. "But when I do, it's usually to ease my mind."
The hero glanced at him. "So what do you need eased from right now?"
"I am not fond of crowds."
Hawks simply nodded, listening to the other man swallow before slamming an empty glass down.

Hawks sat there half listening to Compress for half an hour before he checked the time.
His phone screen flashed seven forty-five back at him.
The screen dimmed, showing him his own sad eyes reflecting back at him in a mocking way.
Music was softly playing from somewhere in the room, and he was vaguely aware of the soft chatter of people mingling.
Some couples were dancing, men and women slowly growing closer, their faces flushed and their outfits shimmering.
He glanced around once more, hoping to see a familiar stapled face, but there was no Prince charming to be found.

Where are you?

The message almost instantly had a small word appear under it:

Read

He sniffled softly, not wanting to cry.
Why should it matter of he got stood up?
It's not like this was the first time.
Still... There was an ache settling in his heart.
"Hey, care to dance?"
He looked up, his hopes raising only to plummet back down upon seeing an unmasked Twice staring back at him with an extended hand.
Twice studied him carefully for a moment before saying, "just as friends. You look like you need one right now."
Hawks looked around the room. "But, we'd be the only two guys. I don't want people to laugh at you."
"Don't worry about it. It doesn't matter what they think. We're friends. They can kiss my ass! Two guys dancing ain't any different than a man and a woman dancing!" His smiled softened. "Besides, if you're worried about looking like a couple, don't worry. We know we aren't, and Toga- my date- knows we aren't. The only opinion that should matter is our own, right?"
Hawks found himself smiling now. "I suppose you're right."
He took the villain's hand in his own. He then placed his free hand on the other's shoulder.
Twice carefully rested his hand on the hero's waist. "No homo."
They swayed to the song, and Hawks silently thanked the man in front of him for taking pity on him.

The song caught his attention and made his eyes water.

Don't count on me to stay a little longer if you convince me
And tell me all the things that you have against me
Every time we make up, the truth is faded
Everybody's blind when the view's amazing
Damn who are we right now?

He glared at the floor, determined not to cry here in a room full of villains.
Twice pulled him closer, hugging him tight.
"It's okay," he whispered.
A tear fell, splattering against the villain's suit jacket.
Hawks wiped his face.
"Heroes don't cry." His voice sounded thick and gross in his ears.
"Well, my family members do. And my family is anyone in the League." He patted Hawks's back. "And you're part of the League."
Hawks choked.
This man was so pure and so kind.
How did he get labeled as such a monster?
...and how could the hero even think to betray them?
The song had ended, but Hawks still clung to Twice, refusing to unbury his face from the man's jacket.
Twice shuffled his arm, there was a distinct tapping sound before the villain let go of the hug.
"You okay?"
Hawks nodded, forcing his tears to stop.
He was sure his face was red from crying.
Then he felt a gentle tap on his shoulder from behind.