I Trusted You

Dabi couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong.
  Hawks had been acting strange the past few weeks- but especially today.
He was always writing away in his little journal, frantically hiding it when the villain would enter the room.
Now they were up on stage in the mansion, looking out over a sea of villains as Shigaraki was giving a grand speech.
"Too long have the heroes pushed us aside!" The leader was saying. "Today, we will destroy this heartless society. With me an my companions-" he made a sweeping gesture over the original League members beside him, "we will make sure all the broken and unwanted- all the wronged and all the unjustified- have a place. Down with the heroes!"
"Down with the heroes!" Everyone echoed immediately.

Everyone except one.

Dabi wrapped his arms around Hawks's shoulders, hoping to comfort him.
"Don't be scared, Birdie," he whispered. "I'll protect you."
Hawks shoved him away sharply, bringing the room's attention to him.
"I'm so sorry, Dabi. Just know that our love..." He held up a hand. There was some sort of remote in it that only had one button. "Our love was never an act."
With a single tear, the hero pressed the button.

Hawks closed his eyes as he pressed the button down.
It was silent.
Not a single sound.
Did the signal not send?
Shit-
  That's when the walls shook.
"What's going on?" A panicked voice called.
"What did you do?" Dabi demanded.
And that's when the heroes burst in, forever destroying their relationship.

The room became chaos.
There were heroes and villains- everywhere, flying at each other with such a cold ferocity.
Twice had fled up the back stairway.
Toga was stabbing into some poor young man in bright blue.
Shigaraki had placed his hand on a young hero's face, making them fade to dust.
Spinner was wielding a massive sword- quite literally carving his way through the masses.
Finally, Hawks's eyes rested on Dabi, who stood perfectly still, his eyes cold with a dark fury.
All the love from just moments before, was gone, leaving only hatred in and confusion in its place.
"Hawks!" Eraser swung up beside him, ready to take on Dabi. "Get who you must and do it now! Shigaraki's disintegration is eating people left and right!"
Wordlessly, the winged hero turned, taking flight.
He dove through to a dimly lit room where he found Twice, mumbling back and forth to himself as he finished off a hero.
Hawks hesitated in the doorway. Would the villain even want to come with him?
He had to try...
"Jin," he said cautiously taking a step forward. "Jin, it's me. It's your buddy, Hawks. Come with me-"
Twice whirled on him. "Traitor! You're no friend of mine!"
Hawks swallowed the lump in his throat. "Please, if you come with me you can start over. Trust me-"
"I did trust you! Look where that got me!"
The masked man swung a fist at him. The hero barely dodged.
"Please, Jin, I don't want to fight you!"
"You should have thought about that before you hurt my friends!"
Twice began to shake with rage, his mask splitting open. "PREPARE TO DIE TO MY SAD MAN'S PARADE!"
Thousands of Twice began melting off him, all going at Hawks with an unwavering destructive promise.
The hero dodged left and right, frantically shooting feathers out and destroying them.
Every goopy splatter made his heart sink more and more until he felt like he was already dead.
A double took his legs out from beneath him, and he hit the floor with a thud.
Right as the double raised his foot for the final blow, Hawks drove a feather sword through it, making it explode in a mass of gray.
The real Twice was panting, his duplication process slowing down.
Hawks surrounded him with feathers, freezing him to the spot while he destroyed the last of the fakes.

Twice looked up in utter terror at the man he had once called friend.
Hawks's face was cast in shadows, leaving only those horrible golden eyes glaring down at him.
His red wings were ruffled and the feathers reminded Twice of blood.
How could Twice not see it before?
It was like Overhaul all over again!
Magne had lost her life because Twice had brought that other bird man to them. And now the rest of the League would die too. All because Twice failed to see through the hero's mask.
"Why?" He whimpered.
Hawks stopped, looking thoughtful.
The hero then raised a feather sword, level with the villain's head.
"It's nothing personal. It's just part of the job. This is your last chance to surrender and come peacefully with me. I believe you're a good person."
Twice had tears flowing down his face. "I would never betray the League! They're my family! We welcomed you into that family! Don't you see asshole? I trusted you!"
Hawks said nothing, but Twice saw him flinch. Maybe he could talk the hero down.
He still had a chance!
"I trusted you, because I felt sorry for you!"
Hawks's glare hardened. That had been the wrong thing to say.
"You should have saved your pity when you had the chance."
Twice felt a sharp sting in his skull, and fell limp.

Hawks felt tears start to burn down his cheeks.
He had run his sword down into his best friend's skull, not enough to kill him.
Just enough to make him stop.
If he hurried, he could still get Twice medical attention before he died.
He could still save him!

That's when the blue erupted into the room, dousing the walls in hungry, vengeful flames.