#20: Temporary Memento

Flashback 14 years ago

Ymir's Mansion- Garden

"Don't stop running", Keanne held her hand as they both escape from the mansion being tossed upside down to search for her.

"Keanne, my mom. Can we save her?", the young girl asked while shaking in fear and yet no tears escaped her eyes. She was just shaking in sadness at her father's death and her mother's disappearance. "It's a good thing you're not crying or else they'll find us", Keanne felt bad about what he said. "Celestial Dragons are not allowed to cry in front of anyone", she explained.

"What a stupid rule", Keanne saw the edge of the garden. "It's the exit", he had a smile on his face. Suddenly, a man stood in front of them. His arms turned into ice, it freaked out the two youngsters. Kuzan wore his gloves and picked the young girl by her arm. "Don't touch her", Keanne punched his leg. "Get lost, young boy. If they see you here, you're also dead. I'm just taking this young lady", Kuzan continued to walk.

"Go, Keanne. Don't let them see you", the young girl struggled to feel the pain in her arm. "How dare you handle a girl like that", Keanne found a stick and whipped it on Kuzan. "I told you to get lost", Kuzan kicked him somewhere. A fellow soldier saw the boy and took out his sword. "You saw what happened to this family. We can't allow you to live", he said with a stern voice. His big built scared Keanne. "No, please spare me!", he cried.

The girl kicked Kuzan in his stomach which allowed her to free herself. As soon as she arrived where Keanne was, he was already bleeding uncontrollably. The huge soldier with a cigar in his mouth looked down at her. "Kuzan, why did you let her go?", Akainu's eye twitched.

Keanne was able to say something before he closed his eyes. The young girl was able to lip-read it.

I shouldn't have taken you in.

The young girl grabbed Akainu's sword. He accidentally swung it around and slashed her chest."What are you doing?", Kuzan yawned. To their surprise, the wound was closing on its own. The young girl screamed looking at her flesh moving according to their own will.

A week after,

North Blue

Vegapunk Laboratory

The young girl was brought to Dr. Vegapunk.

With her eyes closed, she cannot see who was checking on her body. All she could hear are the sound of the machine and the metals being thrown at a distance. "You're a rare species, young girl. I believe your father was an Op-Op user", Dr. Vegapunk opened. "Your father worked alongside me and we found a way to grant someone eternal life", he said while cutting some portion of the young girl's skin.

He placed it on a test tube and was surprised that it was trying to connect somewhere by expanding itself. He turned to look back on the young girl's wound but found nothing. There were no markings of a scar.

"Could he perform the surgery on you?", Dr. Vegapunk held the girl's forehead and foresaw what the government could do to her.

Basement

The room wasn't warm enough for a child to stay but the soldier feared her escape so they kept her in the dark room. It was also enclosed with iron bars.

With her eyes still blindfolded, she heard a footstep.

"Young child, we received a letter from Marygeois and it's given to you", the deep and stern voice woke the girl from her sleep. she went closer to hold unto the iron bars. "I can't see right now. They blindfolded me and said never to take it off or else something bad will happen", she said with a weak voice. "Then, can you please read it for me", she sat on the cold cement.

The man held tight to the sealed letter and also sat in front of her. He started reading the letter.

Dear child,

First of all, I must fulfill the task given to me by your father. We're not supposed to have names for we were supposed to exist freely but I and your father were dictated by the law of the Five Elders. I'm afraid I won't be able to give a fitting name for you. There's a silence that could be powerful. There's a victory that could be won in peace. So, I gave you the name SERI.

Second, We apologize that you have to be born into a family like ours. A family where we barely see each other. Your father was busy researching alongside a doctor in north blue. I am also the representative of our House.

Thirdly, Live. I know it will be difficult now that I and your father are no longer by your side. But, Seri, isn't it that you managed to live on your own whenever we're not around? Think of it like a continuation. One day, when you manage to keep on living by yourself, someone will appear and will stay by your side.

Lastly, Seri. I wish I could say your name more. Always be a good girl. It's easier to be the one who'd cause misery to others but few can make a difference. I can't say. If mistreating others, taking advantage of others, or hearing someone thank you for a good deed is pleasurable, choose the latter.

Choose to be on the good side.

10 Years After

Seri's Cabin

Seri was just silent. Ace created a huge replica of himself. "What do you think? I was practicing to create a flame replica of mine", Ace boasted.

Seri reached out to the flame and yet it didn't hurt but felt warm.

"Say, you're a pirate. Right? Do you allow someone else to tag along with you? Like a woman?", Seri asked. "Oh, what a coincidence. I accompanied a crew member of ours in this village because he'll get married to one of the villagers", Ace leaned on the wall. Seri did the same still holding unto the flowers. "Wedding? I haven't seen one", Seri opened.

"Let me describe it to you. A lot of people are cheering and there's so much food. It's a happy moment for everyone", Ace went on describing the decorations and the banquet. "That sound amazing", Seri commented.

"If he married that woman, can she also bring her along? In the sea, I mean?", Seri asked.

Ace turned to look at her resting smile face expression ." It'll be dangerous in the sea. But if it was me, why not?", Ace chuckled.

When you reach 18, you'll get married and be the Head of the Family. But then, you'll just be under one name of the I'm. Talk about a puppet.

"Then, marry me. Pirate-san", Seri hugged the bouquet. Ace lost his balance but was able to hold unto the window's iron bar. "That's the first favor you asked from me and it turned out to be as strange as you are", Ace sighed. He reached out his hand and poked Seri's cheek. "Don't get cheeky, younger there's a ton of people who would want to have me. Not in a manner of marriage though", Ace was talking about a bounty on his head.

"Don't worry, when you ask me to save you. I can do it in an instant", Ace said with confidence.

Do you remember what happened to that boy? Don't think of escaping again. Everyone on this ship will die.

"What are you saying? Why will you save someone who's not a captive", Seri laughed nervously. "Are you not?", Ace created a hole in the wall.

"Let's go", Ace offered his hand.

I wanted to hold those hands. I wonder if I could feel that warmth the first time he held mine.

"What are you doing?! They'll kill you", Seri bit her lip.

"I don't understand you. You just sounded like you wanted to run away from this ship", Ace tilted his head. The alarm is already notifying the soldiers.

"You will... never understand me. Don't just stand there. Go away ", Seri's face flushed with a mixture of emotions.

Please, don't get hurt because of me.

"Then, tell me where to stand so I can see what you are seeing as well. Tell me where to stand so I'll know where you're coming from", Ace was about to hold her hand but Seri stepped back.

"Please, leave", Seri pushed him.

"Sorry, I messed up with my cooking", Seri lied for the first time in her life.

Chapter end