Chapter 16

A/N: I have been waiting a long time to write this chapter! Enjoy!

XXX

Izuku's Point of View- Monday

The past few weeks have shared several common characteristics. Each weekend, I feel sick as a dog by the time Friday rolls around, leading me to worry that I won't be able to lump my dialysis treatments together like I have been for much longer. I don't know what kind of schedule I could work out that would allow me to fit a treatment into the middle of the week without revealing my secret to anyone and it's troubling to say the least.

Another ongoing theme, much to my surprise, is Kacchan. During the week, it almost feels like he's watching over me, even when he acts like a jerk in front of everyone else. There's a softness that was never there before and frankly, I don't know what to think about it. We agreed to continue our interactions as usual during the school day and when around our classmates, but every evening at exactly 9pm, Kacchan knocks on my door with a container of food in one hand and study materials in the other.

Much to my dismay, he seems to have made it his personal mission to ensure I eat something every single day. The first half of the week it really isn't a big deal because I haven't completely lost my appetite yet, but the second half is harder. Apparently, he's also made it his personal mission to see to it that I don't fall behind in class which is why he brings his school stuff with him. I quickly learned Kacchan is both an efficient and terrifying study partner, especially when the subject is math. He becomes just a little aggressive when I have trouble following his formulaic reasoning, but even then, his angry words lack any real bite.

Finally, every Thursday evening before returning to his own room, he reminds me that he'll be coming with to the hospital for the weekend. And every Thursday evening I spend half an hour trying to push down the ensuing anxiety attack. Does he really plan on coming with again? How long is he going to keep this up before he gets tired of me? Why does he even care? There's no way he's really going to show up Friday evening. Then at the hospital- there's no way he's really going to show up Saturday morning... and yet he always does. He's slowly becoming a constant in my life, something I thought he'd never be again, and it honestly scares me.

I'm afraid the moment I allow myself to become comfortable with our new relationship, he'll suddenly change course and I'll be alone again. I put on a brave face for my mom and my doctors, but I hated going through all of that without a friend to lean on. He's been there for everything, even when I'm hooked up to the machine which is comical now because I'm almost certain Kacchan does not like needles. He always watches the nurse like a hawk as she inserts the thin, hollowed point into my arm. He goes pale and his face twitches uncomfortably and I can just tell he's physically forcing himself to remain seated next to me.

While walking down to the common area with Ochaco I can't help but snicker, just a little, at the pained and queasy look poor Kacchan gave me last night during my last treatment. I've tried to tell him before that he doesn't have to watch and every time his response is a grunted "I'm not a pussy, fucking Deku" or something along those lines. I think we're at the point where if he wants to be stubborn about it, I'll just leave him to it.

"What are you smiling about, Deku" Ochaco asks as she steps over the blanketed masses of Mina and Sero who are giggling and whispering as they wait for the rest of our class to file in.

It's another movie night with Aoyama picking what we'll be watching. He loves musicals, so it's guaranteed we'll all be occupying front row seats to some kind of melodramatic Broadway spectacle, not that I mind or anything. I kind of like the musicals.

"No reason, just in a good mood tonight, I guess." I take my seat on the sofa, making sure there's enough space for Ochaco to sit. She looks at me, biting her lip and I catch her eyes flick to the side before returning to me. I follow their path to see she was looking over to Iida. With a knowing smile, I gesture over to him discreetly. "You can go sit with Iida if you want. I don't mind."