The Necklace

December 3rd, 2016

Joe and Taylor had yet to discuss exactly where Taylor was going to be for her birthday, neither one wanting to overstep any boundaries in their relationship, but both of them wanting Taylor to be in London with Joe.

Joe looked over to where she was standing in the kitchen. "I can't believe your birthday's so soon!"

Taylor turned back to look at him, "I know right! I'll be 27!"

"Any birthday plans?" Joe said, standing up from the couch and walking towards her.

Taylor hesitated, "I'm not having like, a big party or anything." She tried to keep it vague, not specifying where she was going to be.

"I thought you loved big parties," Joe said, wrapping his arms around her from behind.

Taylor shrugged, "After this year all my friendships are kind of a mess, and I don't need a big party to have just my only three true friends show up."

Joe frowned, "I'm sorry. But your right, maybe a big party just isn't right for this year."

There was a small silence as Joe hugged Taylor from the back and Joe stood there. Taylor tried to continue the conversation, "So what about you? Filming? Auditions?"

"I have an audition on the 12th and filming on the 15th." Joe said slowly, trying to remember. There was once again a pause in their conversation before Joe dropped the bomb, "Are you going to be in the States for your birthday or..."

Joe left the question open ended and Taylor bit her lip, turning around to face him "I'm not really sure yet."

"Well your birthday's only," Joe stopped to boop her nose, "Ten days away."

"Yeah... um, where will you be filming at?" Taylor asked softly.

Joe smiled, "London."

Taylor nodded, wanting to say that maybe she just stay in London but not sure how to. Joe rubbed her back as he watched the gears churn in her mind. "Um, I could stay in London but I don't know if you want-" Taylor started then stopped, not really sure how to finish the sentence.

Joe raised an eyebrow, prompting her to say more. "I mean it would be nice to stay in London," Taylor finished.

Joe pretended to hesitate, and let a small frown grow on his face. Taylor took notice, "Actually if you don't want- Yeah, maybe I'll go to the States." Taylor corrected herself, thinking Joe didn't want her there.

In response Joe just chuckled, "I'm kidding love, I would love for you to stay in London."

Taylor breathed a sigh of relief, "Okay."
_______________________________

December 13th, 2016

Taylor was still asleep, and Joe had just finished putting up the final balloon and stapling up the happy birthday banner.  He dashed up the stairs as soon as he heard footsteps in the bedroom. When he got up Taylor was standing next to the bed, rubbing her eyes.

"Happy birthday, baby," Joe said, leaning on the door frame. 

Taylor looked towards him and smiled, "Thanks."

"Do you want to come downstairs? I have pancakes and coffee ready," Joe said, stretching out his hand for her to hold.

"You know the way to a woman's heart," Taylor replied, holding onto his outstretched hand. He led her downstairs, holding her hand the whole way.

When they got downstairs, Taylor let out an audible gasp. "Oh Joe, when did you all this?" Taylor asked, referring to the giant 'Happy Birthday!' banner and balloons.