🌵chapter 16

"What about Jimin?", Taehyung came in limping on his right leg.

"What's with your leg?", Jin sprung up from the sofa and hurried to his son.

"I'm fine, dad", he nodded with a calm face and turned to his sister, "How are you?"

Mina nodded facing down, her fingers scratching their own, awkwardly.

He put his bag down on the floor and walked around Jungkook, ruffling the boy's hair, and stood before his sister. Seeing her sit unresponsive, he kneeled in front of her with open arms.

The girl didn't hesitate to fall into his embrace.

"It's good to see you sitting here fine as hell", he chuckled and brushed her hair.

"Idiot", she mumbled into his shoulder sniffling back her tears.

"So what's this about Jimin?", he asked pulling away.

Mina's gaze wavered and she spoke avoiding his eyes, "We were just...wondering how your date with Jimin oppa went"

Now it was Taehyung's turn to stutter, "Well,...we just had lunch together and I came back after dropping him at his house", he stood up and sat near Jin.

"What happened at school suddenly?", he asked looking at Mina and Jungkook.

The two elders waited for them to open up too.

"Um...", Mina started but Jungkook took over.

"It's about the day I came home with Mina, eight years back", he looked at her with a nod saying, he will take care of the difficult part.

To both, opening up their almost scabbed wounds wasn't an easy task. Still, to rely on their family was better than crying alone every night.

*flashback*

The Jeon family and the Kims were neighbours in the most peaceful street of Daegu, eight years back. Jungkook's family had moved in from Busan and Taehyung was his first friend in the strange place.

In the morning both boys would cycle around their little neighbourhood to deliver flowers and bread from their respective parents' stores.

Later, they would arrive at their school complaining all the while about how one wants to remain in the bakery to see his mother's cookies and breads bake warmly inside the oven and the other would whine about wanting to tend to the plants at the flower shop.

In the evening, both would play with their neighbourhood friends in the park.

Among such days, on an autumn evening, when the radio in the bakery filled the store with the melody of a ballad by a band named, the bicycle ride, called "me to you, you to me", Jungkook hummed to it's tune and left the shop with a bun in his mouth.

Taehyung and the boy had planned to meet at the playground where the latter had said he would show him his new game console that his father had bought him. Excited to share it with his older friend, he cycled down the street holding the unopened box tight in one hand. His heart didn't allow him to secure it in the cycle carrier, fearing it might get damaged.

There was no one in the playground which confused Jungkook because it was the weekend and usually boys and girls would be screaming and running around the place. The reason shouted at him in the form of a thunder between the dark grey clouds above him.

"Why does it have to rain on a weekend?", he groaned kicking the mud.

Right then another thunder struck loudly and as it faded, a tiny sob emerged around him.