Chapter 1: That One Spring Evening

Her eyes are the fire that scorches hope; the frost that shivers bravery and negates valor. In her fingertips lies lament of the Gods, for Gods are nothing before her sovereignty. An entity far more superior than kings and queens, an otherworldly being who singlehandedly shattered world after worlds, and devoured realms after realms.

She is the destruction. The redeemer of death. As stars collapse in her wake, truth becomes another fairytale – as if it was a dream.

She. . . is me.

Isang bangungot ang dumalaw sa aking pagtulog isang gabi. Kung saan ay bayolenteng nagliliparan sa hangin ang mga tuyong dahon, at sirang-sira ang lahat ng gusali dulot ng mga pagsabog. Umaalingawngaw sa buong paligid ang sigaw ng mga tao habang nagsisi-takbuhan parito at paroon. Takot, at natataranta. Pakiramdam ko ay parang totoo ang mga nakikita ko. Na parang nangyari na ito dati, kaya lang ay hindi ko matandaan kung kailan.

Subalit alam ko'y iyon ay isa lamang hamak na masamang panaginip. Walang katotohanan.

"What's wrong?"

Wala sa sarili kong nilunok ang kinakain na kanina ko pa nginunguya at ininom ang nanlalamig na gatas na hinanda ni Quilya para sa akin. "Wala," sagot ko rito. I've been having the same nightmares for about a week now. Pero isang beses ko lamang binahagi kay Quilya ang tungkol doon. Baka mamaya sasabihan pa ako nito na praning dahil paulit-ulit nalang yung scenario sa bangungot ko.

"Para kang namatayan ng pusa, Riah. Umayos ka nga!" Ang aga aga, lakas maka singhal. "Oh, tingin tingin mo?" Aba't tinarayan pa ako.

"Hoy, ikaw babae ka. Tigil-tigilan mo yang pagtataray mong 'yan, ah? Tadyakan kita d'yan, eh. Gusto mo palayasin kita dito?" pagbabanta ko habang pinanliitan siya ng mata.

She rolled her eyeballs at me. "Utut mo. Ampon ka lang naman." At tsaka siya mataray na umalis sa harap ko.

Her name is Quilya Neinfraud. She's been my servant, and my friend ever since I'm five years old. Parang hindi ko nga katulong 'yon, eh. Mas mataray pa sa 'kin.

During my early years, I experienced a profound loss when my parents passed away. Unfortunately, fate dealt me an unkind hand, and I was unable to even catch a glimpse of their faces before being left alone.

And since no one knows about them, I have no idea who they were, what are their names, were they good people or bad people. And which one of them do I look like? With that said, I was sent to an orphanage. The same orphanage where I met Quilya five years later.

At the tender age of five, she experienced a tragedy that no child should ever have to endure. Fate can be unforgiving, and it was particularly so in her case. Her world was turned upside down when both of her parents were taken from her in a sudden and heart-wrenching way. The loss of her parents must have left a void in her life that could never be filled, and it undoubtedly had a profound impact on her. From that moment on, she had to learn to face the world that was confusing and frightening, all while trying to come to terms with the enormity of her loss.

But compared to me, she was rather fortunate to have seen them and grew up with them even for a short time before they died in a car accident.

I kinda envy her for that, but we became friends for the same reason. We both lost someone important. She didn't have any relatives to take her in, plus she had to walk her way to the orphanage barefoot all by herself using the map drawn by her father before passing away. Life couldn't be crueler for her, but during our days in the orphanage, she was always happy. Like nothing ever happened. Or at least, that's what she told me.

Minsan, nararamdaman kong nalulungkot pa rin talaga ito kahit hindi niya pa sabihin.

We're about the same age. According to her, her birthday is October 23rd, which is a couple of days from now. I don't know mine, but I should be turning nineteen this year, too. No one knows, not even the people from that orphanage.