Quixotically In Pain

Start from the beginning

In fact, the best feature was his smile. She loved his smile. It made him almost human.

Blowing over the plate, she used her fork and dug in. Flavors bursted on her mouth, and wait was that barbecue? Her eyes widened in recognition.

"I see what you did here."

He pulled out a chair from the corner and sat across from her. "You did eat those barbecue chips like some dragon."

She stuck her tongue out and laughed. "I like barbecue."

"And I like you." Heart beat popping. Racing. Dying.

She was dying. This man is the most alluring sensational story. He was a whole package altogether.

"I know you do. I -like you..a lot." No point in lying.

Valora watched his face, seeing his reaction. His green eyes dilated further and the corners crinkled. Such a cutie!

"So I have a question."

"Ask."

"What do you plan on making me do here?" It was a serious inquisition but it throbbed her to ask him.

"Whatever you want." But this isn't what I had in mind.

"No, Phoenix. I'm asking, are you ever planning to let go of me?"

Just like windows shuttered down, his expression did the same. Wrong question but needed. She wasn't afraid of him. She needed to find out.

"What do you think?" So they were going to play answer-the-question-with-a-question game.

Fine. She was good at that. Dropping the fork on her plate. It clattered in the silence. "What should I think?"

"What should I want you to think?"

"What should I want-Urgh! This is ridiculous. Just answer the question, Phoenix."

"It's simple." He looked away, his eyes descending to the windows in front of them.

The French windows stretched till the end of the room. On her right was the kitchen and on the left were the windows. He was surrounded by his things and it was wonderful to see him like this.

The breeze was high and cold. It hit her directly. A sudden mental picture of them eating together, laughing and watching nature right before their eyes swarmed into her head.

This she could see. And want.

Maybe Valora was being ungrateful. She should be happy that he hadn't put her in prison. This is not what she had in mind but things change.

You never get what you want but you do get something even better.

"Okay." This wasn't her submitting. This was her letting go of her dream and replacing it with a better version. With Phoenix.

He turned, his eyes glazing her.

She picked her fork and began to eat the remains of her barbecue chicken. "I'll stay with you."

The weight dropped from Phoenix's shoulders. He reached out and caught hold of her other hand. Raising it to his lips, he said. "Thank you, my venom."

Her arm sported goosebumps. "Why do you call me that?"

"What? Venom?" He didn't leave her hand. He kissed her palm, knuckles, each finger with the same adoration and affection.

Her mind spun in delight. She nodded when he looked back up at her. His own hand traced the lines of her fingers, stroking her wrist. He felt her pulse rapidly beat.