Competition and Jealousy

Start from the beginning

-

Merlin led Sophia into her room and handed her a blanket. "If you need anything at all, just let me know."

"Thank you," Sophia smiled as she entered her room. As she closed the door, Morgana passed by and the two noble women made eye contact. Morgana's eyes widened with fear. Morgana grabbed Merlin's wrist and pulled her out of hearing range.

"Who is that?" Morgana asked anxiously.

"Sophia Tir-Mor. We... well, Arthur rescued her in the woods."

"She can't stay here."

"The king said that she and her father are welcome in Camelot. Morgana, is everything alright?"

"No," Morgana breathed. "I had a dream. A- a vision. It was so real-"

"Morgana, let's go to Gaius' chambers. We don't want anyone overhearing, right?"

"Right," Morgana agreed, shakily.

When they arrived at Gaius' chambers, he was in the middle of taking a flask off of a burner. "Gaius!" Merlin called.Gaius jumped at the sound, nearly dropping the flask. 

"I'm sorry," Morgana apologized. "We didn't mean to disturb you."

"Nonsense, my child. You are always welcome here," Gaius said as he stood up and faced the two girls.

Merlin and Morgana both glanced at the bench and then at each other. Merlin stared at Gaius and Morgana's eyes flitted back and forth between Gaius and the bench. Both worse similar expressions of a mixture of concern and disbelief. "I apologize for the mess," Gaius told Morgana. "Most of it's Merlin. If I had known you were coming I would have tidied up."

"No, it's not that. It's just.. your bench is on fire."

"My bench is on fire? What are you... my bench is on fire!"

Merlin grabbed a bucket of water and handed it to Gaius who then used tongs to drop the flask into the water. "You're always getting me into trouble."

"Am not!" Merlin said. 

"What brings you to this dark corner?" Gaius asked Morgana, ignoring Merlin.

"I had another dream," Morgana said, her voice shaking.

"I see."

"I saw Arthur lying underwater, drowning, and there was a woman standing over him, watching him die. And now she's here in Camelot."

"The mind plays tricks. It borrows from every day life and uses it for its own fantasy."

"But I had this dream before she came to Camelot," Morgana protested.

"You must be mistaken. They are just dreams, Morgana. Have you taken the sleeping drought I made for you?"

Morgana shook her head. "It doesn't work."

Gaius went to his shelf and picked up a new vial. He handed it to Morgana. "Try this. It will induce deeper sleep. You have nothing to fear."

"Thank you, Gaius," Morgana said, turning to leave.

"I'll walk you to your room," Merlin said.

"Morgana," Gaius called. She turned back to face him. "Don't bother Uther with this. No need to worry him."

"Yes, Gaius."

Once they were far enough away from Gaius, Merlin looked around to make sure that there were no unwanted ears. "I believe you," she said quietly.