When we got to the house, Cara greeted me at the door in a bone crushing hug and tears running down her cheeks. She examined me from head to toe and shook her head in disapproval when she saw my man bun. I thought it looked good but apparently Cara didn't like it. She believes that men shouldn't have long hair.

Even though I had already ate, she forced me to eat again all while complaining about my skin and bones. Such a nagging mom but I missed her so much. Without thinking, I pulled her in a hug once more and she patted my back.

"So... What is the plan now?" Dad asked when we sat down for dinner.

"Well.. I'm thinking of getting back on my own two feet."

"Are you going back to work at the mechanic shop?" He asked me.

"Nah! I'm thinking of opening my own."

"Need any help?" Dad asked and I had to laugh. It was so weird seeing him try to be supportive of me. He probably missed me more than he is letting on.

"Nope. I'm good. I have a bit of money saved up. That should do."

"That is good. Just don't be scared to ask for help."

"I won't" I told him. My eyes roamed the house and saw that a lot had changed around here. We now had a large fish tank in the living room and lots of little fishes swum around. Bria would've loved it.

***

Bria's POV

Another long day at the hospital. My feet were swollen and back was killing me. When I first decided to become a doctor I didn't think about the long hours and different shifts I would have to work. I just wanted to help people. My need to become a doctor first came from the way Jim was. He sort of a role model in my life but no one knew that. I low-key wanted to be like him when I grew up and now that I am he's not even here to be proud of me. "As if he would" I told myself.

Although I had many complaints at first and almost gave up, I am happy I had Liz to guide me and motivate me. She even stayed up with me when I had to study. She was there with me every step of the way. At my graduation, her cheers were the loudest in the crowd and although it was embarrassing, it was good to see that this woman of whom I'm not even blood related have my back like this. She was so proud of me that she even kept an after party for me. Sometimes, I forget that she is just my boss. She treats me so much like I am her own that I started referring to her as my mom because that is what she is, The mother I never had.

Everyday she would encourage me to call my mom and forgive her but I couldn't do it. Liz had understood how hurt I was and tried to explain how my mom felt at that point in her life but I couldn't care.

I doubt my mom even tried looking for me. I am happy with my life how it is here in New York.

I tiredly made my way down the white halls to our meeting room. My supervisor had scheduled a meeting with us and it seemed important. I took a seat in one of the chairs before they were all filled and waiting for the other nurses and doctors to arrive.

Jeremy, one of the doctors here-as well as a good friend of mine sat in the chair beside me. He had asked me out a few times over the years but I always gave him the same response. "I'm not ready to date."

Despite having rejected him a few times, we still remained really good friends.

When everyone arrived, the meeting began and we were told that two doctors and two nurses would be chosen to represent our hospital in a six week workshop in Las Vegas starting this weekend. My heart fell at the mention of my place of birth. I should be happy but I'm not. I crossed my arms behind my back and said a little prayer in my head that I won't be chosen. 

Everyone seemed excited and wanted to be picked but I couldn't. I hung my head and tried to sneak out the back door when I heard my name being mentioned.

"Dr Jeremy Holden and Dr. Brianna Adams were the two doctors chosen. And Nurse Ian Brookes and Nurse Megan Rawlins are the two nurses." Applause were sounded but tears clouded my vision. I didn't want to go back there. Even if it were far away from my home town I couldn't care less.

When everyone left. I explained to my supervisor why I didn't want to go but he refused to accept my excuses. He said this was a good opportunity for me to become one of the best doctors and he would push me if he has to.

When I got home, I complained to Liz and she found the whole situation funny. The only good thing about it was that she offered to come with me so I couldn't feel too alone. That was the only thing that made me happy with the arrangement.

***

On July 4th The plane touched down at LAX at 9 AM. I lazily pulled Liz and my luggage through the airport while she took pictures of any and everything claiming she had never been here and don't know when she would come again. I rolled my eyes and made my way outside to hail a cab. 

The hospital had booked us to stay in a hotel but Liz refused and decided to rent a guest house. At first I was a little mad but when the cab pulled up to the house, my jaw fell. The house was small but beautiful and very cozy. It seemed to be in a safe neighborhood and if I am correct, it was far from where I used to live so there would be no accidental run ins with my mom.

"So? How is it?" She asked with a cheesy grin. She already knew the answer but still liked pulling my leg.

"I Like it okay?" I admitted and her grin grew even more.

I called my supervisor to let him know that I had safely landed and Liz and I decided to order dinner and retire to bed. I promised I would show her around when I have time and she seemed pretty excited for it.

***

The following day, I got up and ready for the long day that I knew was ahead of me. The car was scheduled to pick me up at 6 AM and it was already 5:40 and I was just getting out of bed. I quickly ran to the shower to rinse off then combed my weave out. 

By the time I got to the kitchen, Liz had already made breakfast for me.

"Thank you!" I told her and kissed her cheek. I was about to head out the door when another thought came to mind. "How did you get groceries?"

"There is a supermarket near by." She responded. I didn't know of a supermarket near by but I decided to let it slide. Liz is a grown woman. She can take care of herself.

***

When we got to the hospital, my heart fell. It was the same hospital that I had been to seven years ago. The breath left my lungs and I lost my footing. Jeremy had to hold me and lead me to a chair to catch my breath. Everyone started asking questions but I told them that I was okay but tired. Thankfully they believed me.

The doctors came and introduced themselves to us then split us into groups so we could work with them for the day. It was not as bad as I thought it would be.

Hello Los Angeles.

________________________________________________________________________________