explaining

Shawn's POV

"She's really trying", I commented when Camila closed the apartment door and went outside to buy groceries.

"Mhmmm", my mom hummed not so impressed. "How are you really?"

"I'm good, mom. I really am", I said confidently.

"You'd be better at home", she told me.

"This is my home".

"Shawn..."

"Mom..."

Our eyes met and we stared at each other for a while, waiting for the other to give up or say something.

I really couldn't understand why she was being so petty with my girl. I knew she hadn't met most of the women I've dated before, but that wasn't a reason to act the way she was doing with her.

"I'm happy with her", I whispered and she looked down. "She makes me happy. I don't understand why that's so hard for you to believe".

She was quiet looking at her hands on her lap and then I heard a sob escaping her mouth. His right hand traveled to her mouth and tried to contain sob after sob.

"Mom...", I called her surprised and confused. She looked at me with red eyes. She was crying and I had no clue why, or what to do. I just wrapped her in my arms and held her until she managed to calm down.

"It's just...", she said brushing the tears out of her eyes. "When we got the call that you were in the hospital... Oh God, my heart almost stopped. I've never been more afraid in my life. It's not... This is not about her. I don't hate her... I'm just really afraid of losing you. I don't think I could survive losing any of my children".

She cried again and I put her against my chest. I ran my hand up and down her back until she sat up and fixed her hair.

"I was terrified, Shawn. I was so afraid", she said and her voice cracked mid sentence. "All I want is to have you by me side and make sure you're safe. I can't go through something like that again".

"Mom... you won't lose me", I said softly.

It killed me that she had had to experience all of that because of me. My parents were the coolest most amazing people I knew and I'd never do anything to scare, disappoint or piss them off. I felt so bad.

"I'm fine, I'm going to be ok and I'm here, I'm not going anywhere", I told her holding her hands.

"I won't ever stop worrying about you and Aaliyah. You're my babies", she said.

"I know that and that's ok... What is not ok is the way you're treating Camila. This isn't her fault. She's good to me, you just have to get to know her... give her a chance".

She being mean to my girlfriend was something I was not going to accept, specially when she was using Camila as her punching bag for something that was completely out of her control.

She took a deep breath and looked at me. I held her gaze while I continued.

"Mom, I get that your hurt and afraid and I'm sorry I put you through all of this. But look at me now, I'm practically a miracle and I'm going to be just fine. You don't have to worry more than the usual", I tried to speak some sense into her and ease her fears.

"I know, sweety. I'll try to do better", she sighed.

"And also try to be better to Camila", I said firmly.

"You really like her?", she asked cautiously.

"I... I love her", I said and I felt butterflies in my stomach. Her eyes were wide open now. "I'm not ready to tell her yet and I don't think she's ready to hear it either, but I do. I love her", I smiled.