36.6. Stars, Moon and You

Start from the beginning

"Do you think Elianna would be safe there?" Matthias moved away from her and leaned his back on the backrest of his seat. He peered out of the window, in a general direction with an unfocused gaze.

A sudden pang of emotions hit her right in the chest when she heard his question, but she responded regardless, "Yes, she would be safe."

"Thank you, Naailah," he mentioned tenderly. "Thank you for taking care of her."

Then, a rush of tears surfaced at the back of her eyes when she noticed the amount of affection he held in his voice when he talked about Elianna. Dropping her head low, she responded, "It's only right for me to do that." 

She definitely hadn't expected her voice to crack and the nasal tone had betrayed her. The urge to cry grew larger as the ache in her chest magnified. Tears eventually fell from her eyes and she hated how vulnerable she felt right now but she could only wish that he would not notice how her body had started to tremble at her own weakness. 

"Naailah?" 

Since young, Matthias had been the most observant of the emotions of others and he noticed something was wrong with her almost instantly. In a moment, he moved from his seat and approached her in a careful manner. "Is something wrong?" 

Shaking her head, she refused to speak. It was during times like this that she had appreciated her timid self because if possessed by bravery, she may have blurted out all the truth. 

The truth that she had been in love with him since the day Rowan pulled him on his arm and he stumbled clumsily right into the Temple in front of her. She also didn't want to admit that she had seen him in her foretells and in those countless of times, it had always left her wondering whether those were her own dreams or an actual prophecy. 

More of it, she didn't want to say a word because she had despised the feelings that stirred within her. It wasn't right. It definitely wasn't right to feel these negative emotions towards the only friend she had made after her entire life of being alone in that Temple.

In all gratefulness, the carriage came to a stop. She shot up from her seat immediately and left in a hurry. Hurried steps brought her across the courtyard and she entered into her palace without looking back even once. 

Yet, it was still painful that he hadn't stopped her. Not even a single attempt. She dragged her own feet back into her quarters, hoping to hide in the safety of her own space because her emotions felt so brittle right now that it had threatened to shatter in any second if she were to stay within the radius of his presence.

After her bath, Fariah sat her in front of the vanity and dabbed her long hair dry with a towel in hand. Then, she combed through those straight black strands with a wooden comb while Naailah sat quietly with knees tucked close to her chest, listening to the wind chimes tinkling by the arched windows. 

She was still feeling upset that she had left in a rush a moment ago, knowing that she may not have another chance to meet Matthias after this time. Vexed by it, she buried her face to her knees and let out a sigh.

"Princess," Fariah called her from behind, brushing the comb through another section of her hair.

"Hmm?" she responded silently.

"Could you be thinking about the Second Prince of Iftia?" Fariah's assumption struck fast into her chest right away, making it hurt a little more than it already did.

"I'm not," she lied even when she knew that Fariah would be able to see right through her.

"Prince Matthias' carriage is still in Alnair and he had been sitting in the Amphitheater since the both of you returned to the Royal Grounds from Ajayib."