36.6. Stars, Moon and You

3 years ago Back to the night after Matthias found out about EliannaRivia: On the Way Back to Royal Grounds

3 years ago 
Back to the night after Matthias found out about Elianna
Rivia: On the Way Back to Royal Grounds

Naailah •

Since they left Elianna's residence and entered the carriage, Matthias hadn't said a single word. The two of them simply sat in silence and the only sounds were the gentle rockings of the carriage as it travelled through the slightly uneven path of the street. Naailah had expected that seeing Elianna for himself would place him in a better mood, but facing him right now, she would conclude otherwise. His brows were still furrowed with a tight frown and his lips pursed into a thin line in an expression of unsettling emotions.

"A penny for your thoughts," she said in a quiet voice.

The sudden break of silence caused Matthias to jump as he whipped his head around to face her, a slight surprised flashed within his hazel eyes. When they locked gaze, Naailah felt unexpectedly apprehensive and she swallowed nervously while her hands bunched onto the soft silk of her kaftan. When his stare at her like that, her heart skipped a beat right in her chest and she was growing frantic about the rising heat from her neck to her face.

Of course, she also hadn't expected for Matthias to inch in close to her. The space between them was instantly pulled closer and now, she was forced to also hold onto her breath because she was too afraid to even breathe. 

Matthias stared at her for a moment too long before a peal of laughter sounded and his hand reached to pat gently on the top of her head. "Naailah, you're still you after all these years," he grinned. "It's been too long and I missed you." 

She understood fully what he meant and she could only sigh internally.

Just before she was born, a prophecy was made that Rivia would be anticipating a divine messenger. Separated since birth, she grew up in the Temple alone without the companion of a sibling or even a peer.

Every day, she spent most of her time learning the ancient scriptures under the supervision of the Priestess or Temple Keepers. Even after her designated study time, they had expected her to have quiet moments within the sacred compound. And because of her upbringing, no one would approach her because she was said to be 'different', or worse, 'weird'.

However, she was lucky that Rowan dotes on her very much and he would visit her whenever he arrived in Rivia. As always, he would also pull Matthias together with him to the Temple to play with her. 

Years of growing up together and all the happiness was soon crushed by the unfortunate incident that happened in Iftia's Royal Grounds years ago which changed their relationships forever.

When Rowan grew apart from Matthias, Matthias never showed up to play with her anymore. It had been years since she had the chance to be this close to him and it would be a lie to say that she hadn't missed him at all. When he showed up in Alnair today, she swore that all she had wanted was to wrap her arms around him and tell him how much she had longed for a chance to talk to him again.