9. Soulmates

Iftia: Lyx Palace, Rowan's Bedchamber

Rowan

He no longer doubted her decision. 

As he brought his orb close to her, he saw how her brows knit together tightly and her jaw tightened into a hard line as sweat droplets dotted her forehead. She kept her eyes open but he knew that she was fighting hard with all the voices in her head that screamed at her to possess him in total. Moving her hand slowly, she did the same and he felt claws gouging forcefully from within, the shriek at the back of his head grew even more piercing as her gift was brought right in front of his eyes.

"It will be intense and uncomfortable, but please accept me willingly," he spoke in a pleading voice.

"I hope you would too," she whispered in a hushed tone, almost as though she was praying.

They looked towards one another and chanted in magic before commanding in unison, "Ut alterum dimidium animae meae."
(Translate: For the other half of my soul.)

Their orbs burst into dust, flecking through the air and interwoven together with incandescence and cosmic magnificence. He watched as she smiled at him and closed her eyes. Rays of white beamed towards her and he followed suit in closing his eyes, focusing his mental energy in guiding her into his soul. 

 • Elianna

Rowan's gift pulsed within her and when she opened her eyes again, it was daylight. She was lost in the vast expanse of pure white snow. The air was cold and crisp but not harsh. Paced wind brushed against her skin like a gentle caress and the sun that hung above basked her in its light, wrapping her in a warm embrace.

"Rowan," a female voice sounded, calling Rowan in a way ever so tenderly. Elianna turned around a saw a woman with a loving demeanour that reminded her so much of her mother. That lady smiled fondly, opening her arms to welcome a little boy into her hold. He chuckled adorably and nuzzled his small head in the crook of her neck. Lifting him up into the air, she twirled him around. Gold ornaments on her dress jingled melodiously and her luscious dark hair contrasted so beautifully against the sea of white surrounding them.

She stood at a distance watching them, knowing that she's currently inside Rowan's memory.

A sudden gush of strong wind forced her eyes closed and she instinctively raised her arms to shield over her eyes while trying her hardest to peel the lids open. When the wind ceased, a new scene had formed. The snow-filled ground was now replaced by expensive furniture that donned the elaborated bedchamber. She peered forward, witnessing the same little boy who was laughing so joyously a moment ago to lay in his bed, struggling through his pain at this instance. Her heart clenched painfully as she stepped closer to the crowd of medical officials that surrounded him. Yet, none of them panicked as she did. Instead, they were simply noting down observations like he was their living experimentation subject. She waited for the crowd to disappear before she knelt down by the bedside, holding onto his small hands while she buried her face in her arm and cried.