16. Earl Martin Wayland

Thethia: Mt

Thethia: Mt. Plytois, In the Wood

Elianna

"Yes, Eli," Thunder sounded desperate. "Please don't stop now. We only have till daylight, if not that bastard will deal with Earl Wayland personally."

Elianna swallowed the lump in her throat and picked up the pace to thread through the woods with Thunder. Tears burned the back of her eyes as thoughts flooded in her mind.

After Mother's death, the Veilsteins were amongst the first to fall and massacred. That tyrant purged everyone related to the event, but there was no evidence pointing towards the Waylands to justify a purge. Earl Martin Wayland was never interested in the power struggle and had never participated in any political feuds. He led a simple life, simply fulfilling his duties as an Earl and serving the people in Thethia. That tyrant must have fabricated a piece of evidence because it wouldn't make sense for him to allow a Wayland to live. He never gave up even after ten whole years, he'd never give up until everyone he wants dead cease to exist.

In the fastest speed they could manage, they arrived at the Wayland Manor. Having done these for years, it wasn't at all difficult for her and Thunder to sneak their way in without notice. They carefully climbed over to the main bedchamber's balcony and carefully picked on the lock.

Elianna pushed the door silently and Thunder slunk towards the bed. Holding firmly onto his dagger, he covered Earl Wayland's mouth and sat him up. There was apprehension in the Earl's eyes but he remained still. Thunder warned in a low voice, "I will not hurt you and I'm going to remove my hand. Do not shout, you hear me?"

He simply nodded his head and Thunder let go of his hand slowly, withdrawing it to his side. The Earl inhaled sharply to catch his breath. In a shaky voice, he asked, "You are here to kill me, aren't you?"

"The opposite," Elianna stepped out of the darkness in the room and showed herself through the bright moonlight that had cast a silvery ray through the large windows. She watched as his obsidian dark eyes grew wide open, bewildered and confused.

"You are—" he gasped.

She knew that the Earl must've mistaken her for Elizabeth. Knowing that she doesn't have much time to spare and correct him, she explained briefly, "The King wants your life. We are here to save you."

"Save me?"

"Come with us, we'll help you escape to Iftia or Rivia. It's your choice," she said.

"No," he rejected firmly.

"What?" she stunned.

"I know who you are, Princess Elianna," he mentioned before turning to his side and brushed his hand over Thunder's hair. "And you too, Thunder."

"How did you know?" she drew in a breath while Thunder leaned close to the Earl and gave a sad grumble.

"I love my son enough to know," he smiled sadly, holding Thunder close to him. "Jason was my pride and joy."

"Then allow us to help you escape, you need to get out of Thethia now," she reached her hand out to the Earl.

"No, please kill me," the Earl shook his head.

"Why?" she questioned, not understanding him while the ache grew in her chest.

"I refused to live under the rule of the man who killed my only son." The Earl clenched onto his chest as he forced all the hurt out with his words. "Roselyne left me so soon and Jason was all that I had. He was all that I needed to get through those tough years without my wife."

Then, he paused for a long moment before composing himself and said, "So Princess Elianna, let the Wayland family die. We will die righteously and one day, everyone will learn the truth and they will grief for us."

"No, please don't," Elianna pleaded.

He reached for her hand and assured, "Mors mihi lucrum."
(Translate: Death to me is reward.)

"No, don't do that," she cried voicelessly, overwhelmed by the imminent feelings of grief.

"Let's make this quick," he smiled before reaching towards Thunder for the dagger and drove it straight through his heart. It happened within split seconds and by the time Thunder jumped from his stance and Elianna lunged forward, it was all too late. Earl Martin Wayland took his last breath before all light was lost in his eyes.

Why?

She knelt beside the Earl's dead body and shut her eyes in anguish. Her hands placed on top of his and she mouthed words of prayers silently while Thunder crouched low and sobbed quietly. They both shared a few moments of silence before Thunder tapped on her shoulder and signalled for her to move because daylight will soon arrive and if the Earl's head was not sent to the Palace, Thunder will lose all of Wynston's trust and all the sacrifice the Earl made will be lost. So, she stepped back, allowing Thunder to finish his job.

From aside, she saw Thunder holding his dagger against the Earl's neck but his hands were trembling so badly and his tears still fall relentlessly from the corners of his eyes. The body in front of him was Jason's father. His master's father. Of course it would be difficult for him.

Grabbing onto her own dagger, she gently nudged for Thunder to step back. In a firm voice, she said, "I will do this."

Thunder looked at her with blood-shot eyes and he was forcing himself to stay composed even when his body shook violently. She exhaled and pulled him back, positioning him further from the Earl's body and turned him away from the sight. She warned, "Don't you dare move."

"Eli—"

"Don't," she interjected, clenching her jaw. "Remember that he died for us and we must not let his sacrifice go to waste."

Thunder went silent and stayed in his position, obeying her words. With a heavy heart, she dropped onto her knees beside the Earl's body and positioned her knife against his neck. She sawed through his neck. It was so messy, with so much blood flowing when she severed through the major arteries. The air was filled with the pungent stench of blood and the sickening sounds of flesh against her dagger threatened to disgorge the bile that had travelled its way up to her throat. Worst of all, each movement of her dagger clawed into her chest and tore through her. She wanted to scream, she wanted to cry but she had to finish this. Now is not the time.

Once she was done, she grabbed a blanket from the bed and wrapped the head. She passed it to Thunder and there was so much pain reflected in his emerald green eyes.

She removed her hands from the blood-drenched gloves and cupped on Thunder's cheeks. "Thunder, I'll trust you with this."

He nodded despite all the despair he felt and they stood. Facing the Earl's body for the last time, they bowed low in respect before making their way out of the manor and parted ways.

※