26. Deadly Revenge

Thethia: Underground Dungeon

Rowan

When Thunder brought them into the underground dungeon, warm, stale air invaded his nose. An overwhelming feeling of unease stirred within him when he imagined Elianna being locked down here for the past few days. The humid and filthy surroundings were almost unbearable. The conditions of this underground dungeon were inexplicably inhumane. However, more than the conditions she had been put through, what worried him more was her at the current moment. Thunder had mentioned that something had happened to her and he needed to save her before it's all too late.

They turned a few corners and everyone started to feel lost but Thunder knew his way around. Clearly, he had navigated through this dungeon countless of times to memorise the way through the whole labyrinth. When they finally reached a huge metal door, Thunder chanted something in Thethiac and the door creaked opened.

"Who's there?" Wynston spun around and saw Thunder, Rowan and his knights.

"Theron," Wynston's expression darkened, his voice hard. "I knew you were up to something. But how did you know of here?"

Thunder ignored him totally and his widened eyes stayed fixed at somewhere towards the back of the room. Rowan followed his gaze and turned his head sharply towards the sounds of constant whispers. The whispered sounded foreign, yet familiar. It was the constant verses that haunted him night after night. Then, when he found Elianna, he saw that her gift was drawn out of her and her orb was fusing with another. Tracing the path, he found out that the receiver was Elizabeth. Damn, at this rate, both of them will die.

In a power transfer ritual, the receiver can only be the stronger individual. Obviously, the stronger one between the two of them would be Elianna since she was the only who held the Goddess' blessings. An incorrect transfer would result in the death of two. Foolish King. Rowan swore internally. 

Seeing that their orbs were about to fuse fully with one another, he wasted no time as he shot forward and a glow surrounded his arm. From behind, his knights shouted his name but it was too late. He had used his gift to disrupt the transfer. Their orbs exploded into tiny specks of magic dust before they merged with their own and shot back into their respective owners. The sudden surge of magic energy forced out a mouthful of blood from both Elianna and Elizabeth. The impact of the interrupted ritual created a gush of force that pushed the Temple Keepers out of their positions and threw them towards the nearest pillars.

His head spun but he quickly rushed towards Elianna and unbound her. Her body fell limply against his hold and he cradled her in his arms. Placing his fingers against her neck to check on her pulse, he could only feel the weakening thump as her skin temperature dropped drastically in contrast to the heat of his.

"Stay with me, love," he pleaded in a voice that was filled with so much desperation.

"R-Rowan..." she whispered his name weakly, fighting a tough battle with her own consciousness when she tried so hard to balance the magic energy rippling turbulently in her body.