27. Sacrificed Light

Thethia: Royal Grounds, Underground Dungeon

Elianna

"Rowan?"

Elianna dragged her feet towards him and he didn't respond like how he'd always did. He lay on the ground, unmoving and lifeless. A sudden wave of weakness hit her, causing her legs to give out and she fell to the ground. 

"Elianna!" Alec shot forward to hold her up. He said in a low voice filled with sadness, "Hang in there, sweetie." 

"It's my fault," she murmured as warm tears poured from the corner of her eyes. "It's all because of me—" 

"No, it isn't your fault," Alec replied firmly, placing an arm by her waist to support her up since she had lost all strength to stand on her own. "Elianna, please don't do that to yourself." 

He held onto her firmly and slowly placed her beside Rowan's body. Her hand reached out to touch him, but his skin had turned dead cold. It was so cold that she had almost thought that all the warmth that once existed underneath was unreal. Her heart ached, as though someone had torn her open and crushed her heart into smithereens. 

Even when she held her palm over her chest and whispered his name over and over again, there was no heartbeat other than hers alone. Till this moment, she had never realised that her chest would feel empty with only her heart alone. She held onto his head and cradled it close to her chest. Softening her voice, she cooed, "Rowan, let's go back to Lyx together."

There was no response on the other end, so she tried again, "I missed you, meae animae dimidium. Won't you open your eyes?" 
(Translate: My soulmate)

She held him closer to her embrace and a heart-wrenching cry surfaced when she realised that he was gone. Her shadows seeped out of her and surrounded them in their darkness. The last thing she heard was everyone else shouting her name.

When her darkness dematerialised, she was back in a familiar place where the sky reflected the ground. Millions of golden orbs danced above them and when they merged, a beautiful lady showed herself in front of her.

"My child."

"Your Divinity," Elianna cried in desperation. "Would you please help me?" 

"All magic comes with a price."

"What should I offer?"

The Goddess pointed towards her chest and the mark on her chest glowed in soft amber. Dropping her head, she remembered that this had been the exact place where Mother had plunged the dagger through her chest when she was eight. 

"Nadia offered herself." 

"What...?"

"Should you want a life, you have to give one.