Chapter 17: Parchment and Charms

Harry's 3rd POV 

Disappointed, Harry walked back to where he was originally headed. He knew it was a long shot trying to follow a sly snake, but he really did want to know what was going on. No one else really noticed what was going on, even though Malfoy's friends were close,he didn't think they had either. 

But he couldn't be the only one, could he? Harry wondered what could be the reason Malfoy was acting so weird. All he wanted was one easy year, no Boy-Who-Lived drama, just a simple year with his rival. Was that too much to ask for?

Come to think of it, Malfoy was probably the only one who really never treated him different because of his name. 'Mione and Ron were so shocked the first time they had met him, and everyone else were a bit too biased. Malfoy was the only one who didn't freak out when they first met. 

Harry still remembered. The first time in Madam Malkin's, getting fitted clothes for the first time. He thought about the funny encounter with the snobby Malfoy, smiling softly to himself at the thought of not being recognised with the scar. It was most likely the first time he felt normal. 

Turning the corner, Harry ran into Ron, who scowled at him from the floor. Picking up his things, and offering Ron a hand, Harry listened to Ron's whining. 

"We were looking for you for ages, and I even had to leave breakfast. And that was a real bummer, since I was practically starving. Stupid, stupid omega body, man!" 

Harry laughed, shaking his head and walking into his first class. His mind wandered back to the problematic Malfoy, with his secret and stupid aristocratic, pure-blood attitude. Taking a seat next to Ron, who was resting his forehead on the desk, Harry said, "So what's it like, being an omega?"

"Bloody horrible! I'm tired all the time," Ron's voice dropped as he sighed, "And I have to go through heat and all that later on."

"What's heat, bad as it sounds?"

"I'm not sure, never really asked about it, since most of my family are betas. Ugh!"

"Well, that sucks, oh hey 'Mione."

Hermione walked up to their table, dumping a stack of books on their desk and swivelling a chair around. "Hey, guys. What are you talking about?" 

"Ron being an omega," Harry informed her. 

"Ooh, apparently we're gonna be doing it in Care of Magical Creatures. Talked about it with Hagrid the other day."

Harry began to say about how he should go down to Hagrid's hut soon, when Professor Flitwick walked in, starting to take the register, when a knock echoed from the door, and Malfoy burst in. 

His cheeks were red, and hair dishevelled, hands clutching the straps of his satchel. It looked like he had been running. "My apologies, I didn't mean to be late."

Even Malfoy's voice was raspy, as if he was out-of breath. 

That's when Harry noticed the panicked Slytherins, who looked worried as Malfoy deposited his bag on the table, and began searching for his books and parchment. He saw a scowl on Malfoy's face, when Flitwick reminded him it was the first day of school. 

"Sorry, Professor."

Malfoy had also dismissed his friends, with a hurried whisper, focusing his eyes straight ahead, and ignoring their comments. Strange. 

With a last look at Malfoy, Harry turned to his own blank piece of parchment, and dipped his quill in ink. He let drops of the black liquid blotch on to it, as he lost himself in thought. 

A/N I would love to hear all your thoughts, comment and vote?