Chapter 27: Pansy and Hermione

Draco POV - Flashback: Pansy telling Draco about how they started dating. 

"Well,  a lot of it started last summer. We had met in the library - mostly by accident. 

Hermione was volunteering as a library helper-thing and I, well I had gotten a bad detention and she just happened to be there too. Merlin, she acted like such an insufferable nerd back then, and I was barely any better."

I interrupted her then, "You can say that again!"

Pansy elbowed me with her sharp bones, before continuing to walk along the corridor and resuming her story. 

"Listen, stupid. So, as I said, I had detention for hexing some 1st year for talking tons of bullcrap about Slytherin, and how apparently we have a serious drug ring going on-"

"Who's in it, and where can I get some?"

"I sweat to Merlin, if you don't shut up, and listen-!" Pansy roared, slapping my arm playfully. 

"Fine, fine - sorry."

"Okay so well, we were both assigned to book duty - which, by the way, would have been the most boring thing if it were by myself.

But it wasn't. 

She didn't glare at me like the others, didn't try to come close to me if I didn't want her to. She just...She listened to me. Asked me a bunch of questions on books I liked to read, things I liked to do. And it was different - good different, though. It was pleasant to talk as if we had nothing on our hands: as if we weren't on the brink of war; as if the Dark Lord didn't exist and the weight of my actions didn't affect my parents' fates.

It was just our everyday lives and it was like we were normal, and she liked me for me. Not my family, not my surname, not my inheritance. 

And I knew then, that she was a good person. Hell, I probably even knew that I liked her that way then. One thing led to another, and we ended up talking hours after our detention ended. 

The first time we went out, well, it was so sweet. Granted, it was totally an accident. 

We'd ended up together in The Three Broomsticks, you know, that one Autumn Hogsmeade weekend where I ditched you and the others? Well, that was our first date. 

She asked me if I wanted to go get a drink with her, and I asked her if she was asking me out. 

I think I'll remember her reaction forever. The way she spluttered and punched me in the arm. But then she - she actually said it. I remember, so distinctly, the way she said, 'Pansy, I am very definitely asking you on a gay date.' 

I didn't know if we were taking this entire thing seriously or not, but after we had a drink and grabbed some food, we ended up kissing in front of the Shrieking Shack. 

I'm not usually one for feels and smoochy dates, but it was so, so pretty. The trees' leaves had just started to fall, and we were surrounded with orange leaves tumbling about, and it matched her soft hair that fell in curls framing her face. 

Merlin, I'm so, so gay for her. We had to sneak around a lot, when things got real saucy, mainly because I wasn't out to a lot of people. She never believed in the concept of coming out - who was anyone else to assume people's sexualities? She's a total badass. If you gave her a chance, I think you and Hermione would really get along, Dray. 

Anyways, I guess we fell in love in October. I loved every part of it. But when she didn't say it right back at first, I panicked so hard that I ran back to the Slytherin common rooms. I avoided her for a really long time, until she told Blaise to give me this note. 

It was all written in her pretty, little handwriting, and she wrote, 'I love you too.' And she invited me to come to this shit-ass event. I knew then, that I was ready to come out to everyone, even slimy Prof. Slughorn. 

I can't say I'm not scared to come out to my parents, but Hermione's made me feel more loved than my family ever did."

Pansy and I stopped walking. 

I whispered to her, "You're really brave, you know that right?"

She smiled, "Thanks, Dray."

"If your family find out and give you hell for it-"

Pansy mockingly finished my sentence for me, "It'll all be for Mudblood Granger." 

I frowned. If my own friends thought I'd say something like that about someone they really cared about, my morals really had to be going into the grey area. Crap. "No...I was going to say, you always have a place with me."

I walked away. Our dorms were already close enough, and I heard her mumble a "Good night, Draco." 

I wanted love like that. Pure, sweet love. Though I'm sure whatever 'saucy' things Pansy and Granger did together were far from pure. 

But they were brave together, strong together. They loved each other, and I had no clue. 

No clue that my best friend had gotten what she so desperately wanted - no, needed. 

Blaise knew, though. But Pansy hadn't trusted me until I'd accidently showed up at her coming-out event. 

Am I a bad friend? 

A/N Hey guys, um so, long time, no see? I keep saying sorry every time I actually bother writing a chapter, and I REALLY AM SO SORRY. Life's a bitch. Anyways, I hope everyone liked the Pansomione love curve and hope it didn't seem too rushed. Also, thank you for all the love, and if you recognise the Girl in Red, you, my friend, are very, very hay.