Chapter 18

I felt like I was floating, I could hear voices around me. My limbs felt like molten lead, I could feel a smarting sensation in my wrist. My eyes fluttered open, wincing at the harsh light before closing my eyes and opening them again, a groan escaping my lips.

"Abba?" Najma's voice pierced the fog around my head. Turning to her direction, everything was blurry.

"Where am I?" I asked feeling groggy.

"Hospital" she replied, my mind was a whirl of confusion.

What was I doing in the hosptial?

"I... what's... what am I? My head hurts" I stuttered raising my hand to my head. I tried to remember what had happened.

Khalifa, the orphanage...

"Yasmin!!!" I gasped. "Where is she? Is she alright?" I sat up, blindly reaching for the blanket and ripping it off me. The increasing sounds coming from the EKG were not helping matters. I wanted it all to stop.

"You have to lie down. Yasmin is okay Abba, she is fine" Najma said softly pushing me back on the bed. A nurse rushed into the room, as I sat on the bed.

"What's going on? I got an alarm from my station that his heart rate is high." She asked walking over to check my vitals.

"He woke up disoriented" Najma answered. "Well you have to calm down, your blood pressure is already high enough, we don't need anything setting it off more." She warned before leaving the room.

"How did I end up here?" I asked.

"Khalifa called and informed me that he was taking you to the hospital. I came as soon as I could."

"What about Yasmin?"

"I haven't seen her but I'll ask Khalifa. I'm sure she is okay." She assured me. I sighed leaning my head against the pillow just as the door opened and Hajiya walked in. She approached the bed, placing a hand on my mine.

"How are you feeling?" She asked.

"Alhamdulillah" I replied.

"Najma can you please excuse us?" She said glancing at her.

"Okay." She whispered and left the room, the door closing softly behind her.

"I'm sorry Hajiya" I uttered. She sighed taking a seat and holding my hand in hers.

"Mohammad called and told me you were sick, then Khalifa called and told me you were in the hospital. Abba what on earth is wrong with you?!!! Starving yourself, your blood pressure is through the roof. You could have died!!!" She cried out.

"I...I can't keep anything down Hajiya, my mind is occupied by thoughts of Yasmin all day and night. I can't... Hajiya it hurts. I... please Hajiya. I want her back. I'll do anything." I said, my voice wavering at the end. She sighed wiping the tears from my cheeks.

"I have never gone back on my words Abba, don't make me regret this." She replied cupping my cheek.

"I won't. I promise" I whispered. She nodded leaning closer to place a kiss on my forehead.

"Thank you" I smiled weakly.

"It's alright. Get some rest." She said. I nodded, yawning as my eyes drooped shut.

                 **********************

It was evening when I woke up again, Khalifa was sitting on, scrolling through his phone.