Chapter 26

Shit!

Shit!!

Fuck!!!

I watched her frown, a glare directed at me as she approached the table, She sat opposite us.

"This is Mrs Balogun from the Ministry, she has been assigned to the child and will be representing her." She explained.

"Mrs Balogun this is Hajiya Jiddah Barde and her grandson Mr. Abubakar Abdullahi, the..."

"I know who he is My Lord. In fact I believe this will be a very straightforward case. Mr. Abdullahi is not fit to be a parent, I am positive you are aware of his exploits."

"Mrs Balogun I am sure you are familiar with how people can change" Hajiya interjected.

The woman frowned at her before looking over at the judge.

"I don't see how a person who has no control or sense of responsibility can change overnight. Due to his lack of responsibility, he is not even in charge of his parents' company." She snapped.

"If I may, My Lord" the lawyer interjected "due to the previous nature of Mr. Abubakar, we have decided to make Mrs Jiddah Barde as the co adopter, so as to balance the equation." He explained. The judge nodded but was quickly interrupted by Mrs Balogun.

"Mrs Jiddah Barde would surely side with her grandson and we should consider the age factor. She is not exactly a young woman and taking care of a child requires a lot of effort on both parties which I cannot say I see happening. Besides the financial constraints of adopting a child should be considered" she argued.

I felt my fist tighten under the table, I grit my teeth to stop myself from saying something I would regret.

"I assure Mrs Balogun. My clients have no issue when it comes to finances" Mr Lawal retorted eyes narrowed.

"Mrs Jiddah Barde might not have any constraints but Mr Abubakar cannot raise a child on his paltry salary." She snapped.

"That's enough Mrs Balogun, I adjourn this meeting till next week Monday. I'll continue deliberating on the issue however I would like Mrs Balogun to watch how the family interacts with Yasmin for two weeks. I want daily reports which I will also consider before I come to a final verdict." She said before standing up.

"Fuck" I muttered under my breathe. This made no sense and why out of all the support workers in Abuja, why her?

"I will send a schedule of my daily visits, however don't expect me to keep to it. I like to catch people unaware, seeing their true colour and not what they paint for society ensures what kind of home the judge will be sending a child into." she said. I glared at her swallowing the string of curse words that were threatening to flow out of my mouth.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Come on man" Khalifa said. We walked out of the room, the woman following us.

I collected Yasmin from Najma rubbing her back as she stirred from her sleep.

"Shhhh... go back to sleep" I murmured rocking her while descending the steps to the car park. I buckled her in while Hajiya talked to the woman.

Najma came over to me as I stood straight, a frown marring my face.

"Don't worry, everything will work out" she soothed rubbing my shoulder. I sighed shaking my head.

"I'm just so pissed off."

"You need to calm down Abba, think of Yasmin."

I took a deep breath glancing down at Yasmin before letting it out and nodding.