one

Zayn is awoken in the morning by voices. He slowly gets up from bed, he can hear Zahra laughing and giggling. He frowns, who is she talking too? And why is she up this early. He checks his bedside clock and sees that it's not that early, apparently he's the one that overslept.

He follows the sound of her voice and walks into the living room only to find her playing with Liam. They're both sitting on the ground and she's being tickled by him.

"D-daddy stop!" She giggles, trying to pull away.

"Here comes the tickle monster!"

Zayn is still upset with Liam, but he can't help but smile at the way he plays with their daughter. It's different from the past, then when he was angry with Liam he could just shut down and not talk to him, but now he can't do that. They have a child together and he can't keep her away from him. Liam is very good with their daughter.

"Mama!" Zahra yells when she finally notices him. Liam releases her so she runs to come meet him. Zayn lifts her up and kisses her on her forehead.

"Hey baby, did you sleep well?" He asks.

She nods, trying to shimmer away from his hold so she can resume playing. Zayn drops her back on the ground.

"Look what daddy got me," she runs to go get something to show Zayn. It's an iPad.

"You got her an iPad?" Zayn finally maintains eye-contact with Liam, who had been previously staring at him and being too nervous to say anything.

"Yeah, it was nothing," Liam says.

"It wasn't nothing. You're trying to buy her affection because you know you fu- messed up,"

"That's not it," Liam defends. "I bought my daughter a gift because I love her."

"Doesn't seem that way since you always bail on us," Zayn says. "Have fun on your vacation?"

"Zayn," Liam sighs. "Not in front of her."

As much as Zayn hates to admit it, Liam is right. She already looks upset by seeing her parents fight so Liam decides to distract her. Zayn goes back to his room and decides to brush his teeth and prepare for the inevitable fight they're about to have.

They made a promise to themself a long time ago never to fight in front of her, and he almost let his anger towards Liam make him break that promise. He's a terrible parent.

Liam walks in a few minutes later.

"Hey," he says.

"Hey?" Zayn repeats. Is that what you say to your boyfriend who you haven't seen in a month? "That's it?"

"I'm sorry, I know you're mad at me,"

"Mad isn't enough to describe how I'm feeling right now," Zayn says. "What did you think would happen Liam? You may win Zahra back by buying her gifts but you won't win my forgiveness so easily. I don't even think I can forgive you, what were you thinking?"

"You have every right to be mad at me, I know I messed up," Liam says. "I don't deserve this, but I really really want to hold you right now. I missed you so fucking much."

"No," Zayn shakes his head. Even though he's tempted to run into Liam's hold and hug him. It's been a month and he really did miss him. "If you really missed me you'd have made an effort to see me. But you didn't, instead you left the country with your stupid friends without telling me. You chose them over us."

"I would never," Liam shakes his head.

"But you did! You did Liam and how do you think that makes me feel?" He asks. "I was upset, yes but I mostly felt scared. I thought you wouldn't come back again."