chapter 14

It was two days of absolute silence between Zayn and Liam. Liam didn't show up at school or at Zayn's home like he usually did. Zayn tries to call him, but Liam doesn't answer his calls.

He doesn't call anyone twice, if Liam wants to be childish, it's his business. He finds himself growing frantic and he decides to call again.

Luckily, Liam answers this time.

"How nice of you to answer," he says blankly.

"Zayn..." Liam says, no excitement in his voice, no cute nickname that Zayn pretends to hate, just his name. "Why are you calling me?"

"I was worried," he says distastefully. "You missed two days of school."

"I was sick," he tells. "Nice of you to notice though."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Are you feeling any better now?" Zayn questions.

"A bit, thank you," he says. Their conversation is so formal, like a student-teacher interaction.

"If you're still sick... I can come over you know, come take care of you?" Zayn suggests, cringing at how desperate he sounds. He can't help it, he just really missed Liam.

"Um, I don't think that's a good idea," he says.

Zayn feels a pang in his chest. "Why? Is it about what happened the last time-"

"No, no, no, nothing like that. I just don't want you to get sick too," he says.

"Oh," Zayn smiles. "That's sweet, but I can take care of myself. I thought you said you were feeling better?"

"Not really, it's still pretty bad," he admits. "Just stay away, I look really gross and everything, I'll see you when I'm better."

"I don't mind, I can still come over," he insists.

"Zayn..." Liam starts. "Don't."

"Why are you being so stubborn?" Zayn questions.

"You're the one being stubborn, I just want you to leave me alone," he blurts out. "I'm sorry, that's not what I meant."

"But it's what you said," he says. "If you want me to leave you alone, I guess I'll do that."

"Zayn-"

"Goodbye Liam."

He ends the call.

...

Ten minutes later, Zayn hears his door ring. It isn't Liam like he hoped, however, it's someone he never wanted to see again.

It's Harry.

He doesn't know why he hopes it's Liam but he's disappointed when he sees who it is.

"Harry..."

"I've missed you so much, fuck," Harry breathes out, moving forward to hug Zayn but he puts his hand in front of his chest so Harry won't touch him.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Zayn asks.

"This is my apartment," Harry says. "So I'm moving back in."

"No way," Zayn disagrees. "No fucking way. Go back to whatever pit you crawled out from."

Harry ignores him, entering inside the apartment before Zayn could react.

"You're dumber than I thought if you think you can stay here," Zayn says. "Just get the hell away from me you fucking cheater."