Chapter 26 Part 2

Start from the beginning

The man backed his colleague's statement, "I'm also sure he's just around somewhere. For last minute preparations. I mean... no one just disappears from the face of the earth, right?"

Somewhere?

Suddenly, I knew why I felt prickly right from the start. That feeling of someone walking over your grave. And I was transported, right back into the last part.

Anyna's debut.

I felt my throat constricting, my heart squeezing. "What are you trying to say?"

Something about my face made his eyes widen, "Miss Isla—"

"Sir Jace! He's here, thank heavens." The organizer was already running off.

I followed her with my eyes. My legs felt like they wanted to give way at the sight.

Sure enough, just sure enough, Jace appeared at the end of the hallway.

The organizer had already reached his side and was speaking to him. Her hands waved in front of her to express the relief she felt. And I could see Jace's face. His eyebrows drew together as he inclined his head to listen.

I willed for him to look in my direction, frustrated when he didn't. My voice seemed trapped in my throat. Jace was focused on the other woman, replying to whatever she was saying as they brisk-walked to our side.

By the time he stood beside me, it felt like an eternity had passed. Only then did he look me in the eyes.

And he smiled.

The heart-pounding fright that I felt in those few seconds had suddenly shifted to boiling fury. My lips refused to return his smile.

"Where were you?" I asked shakily.

The smile fell. Jace looked me over, "What? What happened?"

"What happened? The staff couldn't find you and ask me what—"

"Worried for me?" A taunting smile.

The disbelief I felt with that. "Do you think this is funny?"

Jace laughed once, "You look like you'd seen a gho—."

"You were gone," I reproached, my emotions rising to the surface as I felt my lips wobble. "If you came any later, they would have informed our families. And what? I would be blamed again! It would've been Anyna's—"

Have I lost my mind?

My hand clamped over my mouth. My eyes went to the other people in the hallway. Six people. I stumbled back.

Isla, what's wrong with you? How stupid.

"They won't breath a word about it," Jace said coldly, "Not unless they want to work in this city."

The staff and organizers looked anywhere else but us.

"Blamed again?"

My face colored with shame, "Forget it."

"T-ten minutes," the organizer cut in, "Please be on standby."

I turned to face the door, straightening my posture as I stared straight ahead. I had to gather my wits before this started or else.

Jace took his position too. My hand was gripped in his, sliding it to the crook of his arm. I made no comment, obliging Jace's direction.

It had quieted significantly inside the hall. Now, I could hear grandma's voice as she made the opening speech. Just muffled sounds. I couldn't make out the exact words, but I could picture clearly the confidence that radiated from her, the pride... how easily she could command a room with her mere presence.