Chapter 50 Part 3

*waves hi before disappearing into the abyss I've been hiding in the for the past month*

Awkward

Jace was crazy.

In my unwell state, I felt like I was going to be sicker with the information that his friends were coming over. I whimpered under the shower of hot water.

"Get dressed, Isla. You've been in there too long," I could hear Jace shouting from outside the en suite bathroom.

Murmuring under my breath, I shut off the shower and got out of the glass enclosure. I quickly dried myself and put on a modest baby blue cotton shirt dress that reached down my calves.

I took one look in the mirror. My hair was pinned up messily with a metal hair clamp. My skin was a pasty color and there were bruises under my eyes. I sighed, turning to the door, and opening it.

Jace standing right outside the door almost made me jump. I glared. This man laughed, handing me a white knitted cardigan. I snatched it from him, pulling it over my dress. The warmth from the soft material immediately enveloped me.

"Sierra will hate you," I warned him.

Jace, put an arm around my shoulders, rubbing my arm as if to console me. I shrugged his arm off, but he tightened his hold.

I looked up at his face. Jace smiled, mirth dancing in those gunmetal irises. He didn't say a word, directing me to the door of the bedroom.

"Wait," I planted my feet in place and frowned, "Do they know they're seeing each other today?"

Jace smiled broadly, still not speaking. Following my instinct, I pinched his hide. He laughed, stepping back, and grabbing my wrist.

"It's not funny, Jace."

He suppressed the smile a bit, seeing my burdened expression.

"Whether I told you that story or not, I already asked them to come for legitimate reasons. Tristan offered to come instead of us going to the hospital."

"But still..."

Jace pushed me to the door, "Come on. You need to eat before they arrive. Do you want pancakes?"

The idea of putting food in my mouth diverted my attention. My stomach flipped.

Jace took one look at me and said, "Soup then. You're eating."

There was no room for excuses. I sat in front of the island counter. Jace took a throw pillow from the sofa in the living room and handed it to me. I put it on the counter and laid my head on it while watching him man the stove on the other side of the island. Jace worked swiftly, fluidly... it made me sleepy just watching him.

"Isla."

I snapped back to a sitting position at the mention of my name. Blinking sleepy eyes, I looked at the ceramic bowl on top of the counter beside me. And some toast.

Jace handed me a spoon.

"Thank you," I murmured before scooping a spoonful and bringing it to my lips. The taste of ginger, cream and chicken wa warm against my tongue. Jace sat on my side, with a cup of coffee for himself.

He picked up a piece of toast and dipped it in my bowl, "Well? Do you like it?" The bread went into his mouth. He was chewing while staring at me.

I nodded. I took another spoonful before picking up a piece of toast.

"You can cook," I observed thoughtfully.

"You too," he replied.

We ate in silence for a bit. I stirred the contents of the soup, catching the carrots and chicken on the spoon. My mind was particularly blank, but suddenly remembered something.