Chapter 53 Part 2

Insurance

"So why don't we divorce now? And you can go back to school."

All the thoughts that were building up inside my head dissipated just like that. I blinked up at him. At a loss. Somehow... of all the ways that I had imagined this conversation to go... none of them has led to what this person beside me was saying.

My voice came out like a whisper, "What are you..?"

I couldn't even complete a sentence as I stared at the serious expression on his face. My eyes searched his gray ones. I looked for any trace of the typical smirk he wore, if he was testing my reaction, maybe even anger—just anything that would make sense to me at this exact moment. But those eyes were steely, calm, and seemingly resolute with his words.

"Divorce?" The word came out in a croak.

My husband smiled the slightest of smiles, and he nodded in confirmation.

"Yes. Divorce."

And I just blanked.

It had happened so many times during the time I had known Jace Ezekiel Black. But this felt different. No, this felt like being shot into some sort of vortex before being spewed back out.

But not before I recalled the day Jace, and his parents came to our house and my family proceeded to blackmail him with those pictures. How unprepared I was for how surreal it was...

And then the realization dawned.

Shouldn't I be happy about this? If we divorced, I could go back to my life before I met him. Just school, Prestigio, and my family's antics. I could even pretend the part of my life where Jace Black existed never happened. I'd just be Isla Porter and a student and I could blend back into the crowd until it was time to lead the hotel.

As if.

There was no going back. Too many things had happened. Anyna was gone, I had gotten married with too many guests in attendance, and I now knew of my father's affair. My life, as I knew it, was all out of place. And Jace made it sound so simple, but nothing ever was.

I glanced at our wedding picture and turned back to Jace.

"Do you really want to get divorced?"

My question must have surprised him. Because he took a second before replying.

"You don't want to?"

Sitting this close to him, I leaned back, just enough for space.

"I asked first," I stated, "Do you?"

There was no answer, and for some reason, that was angering.

"Why go through all the trouble to show me that picture if you planned to ask for a divorce? What for?"

Jace gave me a slight smile, "I thought you weren't even thinking of getting married this early? You're eighteen."

I don't even remember when we had that conversation.

But I argued back, "And you think I'm not too young to be divorced?"

"So an annulment."

I snapped at him, "Does it matter what it's called?"

"So, you don't want to divorce?"

"I didn't even want to be married in the first place!"

We glared at each other.

Jace looked away, "What the hell is this conversation—?"

"Do you really want to divorce?" I asked again, my voice rising.