Chapter 50 Part 2

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Happy Holidays! May 2023 be a lot more kind to all of us. Lots of love to you all <3

Gossip

Falling asleep should've meant rest. But that wasn't the case for me.

I was having fever dreams... but they were more like fevered nightmares.

Jace said not to think too much about the occurrences of the day, but it doesn't help when it follows you into your sleep. It follows the events of the day I found out about my dad's affair.

He comes out of the room and I stared at him.

"Isla! W-what are you doing here, darling?"

"I was looking for you."

But in the version of my dreams, I knew from the start of the dreams what was behind that door. And I twisted the doorknob and flung the wooden door open.

The thing was... everytime I managed to open the door, my dad would again be there.

"Isla! W-what are you doing here, darling?"

"I was looking for you."

And as if it was an endless loop, I would repeat opening the door only to find my father standing in the middle of his office. There was no private room, no other woman.

But I knew there was someone else.

Somehow in that dream, I started running faster, trying to open the door as soon as I walked into that office after opening and opening and opening the same door. As if by doing so, the next room wouldn't have time to change. And I would see who was there in the reality I knew.

After four or five times, I finally turned to my father.

"Where is she? How could you hide this for so long? How could I have not known? What's wrong with me?"

But maybe I really didn't want to know. And that was why my brain refused to show it to me.

...

I woke up in cold sweat, my teeth chattering. Moving was still difficult but I forced myself to get up. My arms were shaky, and I was breathing hard. Sitting up, I wiped the sweat off my forehead with the back of my hand.

And somewhere in the background, my ears heard Jace. But my eyes didn't see him and that was the problem.

"Sierra," his voice was low... as if he didn't want to wake me up.

As if he didn't want me to know, a sinister voice in my subconscious whispered.

There was suddenly a lump in my throat. And as if I was a crazy person, a burning feeling started feeling in my chest.

The door opened silently, and I snapped my head to that side.

I must have startled him, because Jace paused. He stared at me, gray eyes widening over-so-slightly. A second... two, three—

"You were talking to someone?" I finally asked, a hint of irritation bleeding into my tone.

Jace blinked, as if gathering himself, "Work."

He crossed the room with a few fluid steps and stopped on my bedside. He leaned down and pressed his palm to my forehead. He shifted his hand, touching the back to the skin.

"You're drenched," He murmured.

I stared at his face. Jace wasn't even looking into my eyes as his focus followed his hand. And as if finally feeling it, he returned the stare.