Chapter 52 Part 2

*insert absolutely exhausted rambling here* 

If I don't reply to posts or messages, sorry. Just have too much on my plate right now.

Isolation

Answer me this one question: How long do you think this marriage would last?

It was a question Jace had asked very early on into our engagement while inside this same blue Jaguar we were currently inside of.

May I assume divorce had never entered your mind?

Just how quickly the bright days had turned into thunderous nights. And how some conversations did not age well.

Assuming all had gone well on the separate sides of this union, breaking up would never be an option. But that news... was enough to confirm to me of the next steps my family would be taking regarding the direction of my marriage.

The deal was already voided.

But as I looked at Jace from the passenger seat, I wondered numbly what his next immediate steps will be.

Surely... surely he knew the news would air that today. It was impossible no matter what angle I took... that what I saw was a coincidence. The person I married was too astute to make that kind of blunder.

"What?" Jace suddenly asked, eyes still on the road. The veins on his arms protruded as he maneuvered the steering wheel and I glanced at that for a moment before also turning back to the road ahead.

Making it sound casual, I said: "I keep wondering what activities you have in mind when we get to the villa."

Jace's eyebrows drew together, still staring straight ahead.

"Do you have something in mind?"

My reply was made to sound flat, "I just want to lie in bed all day, if I have the chance."

Those same thick eyebrows rose on his forehead and for some reason, I had to keep myself from making any sort of expression.

"Lie in bed doing nothing?"

"Yup," I retorted.

I was finally given a split-second glance at that. The car slowed before picking up speed. My lips pursed at that.

"I have a few activities in mind," Jace finally offered, his voice sounding stiff.

"Can I lie in bed for those?" Why I was pushing this was also beyond me.

I should be scared.

"You'll know when we get there."

My mind which should've gone haywire with overthinking suddenly decided that it was a good time I fell asleep. And for the rest of the drive, I was out cold. The nap was just plain darkness. And the next time I opened my eyes, Jace was shaking me awake from the open passenger door.

Sleepy eyes blinked at his as he unclicked the seatbelt and pulled me out of the car. But as soon as we got out, I could hear the telltale sounds of the quiet waves crashing against the lake.

My eyes widened, because behind Jace was the full view of the bluest lake I'd ever seen. We were at a higher viewpoint, I realized. And on the other side of the car was what Jace called the villa. An open-front glasshouse... that was a mammoth structure with three stories and an open mezzanine on the second floor. The outside alone was already impressive and for some reason, a twinge of excitement melted my thoughts.